DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n prioritizes wan2 over main wan1 why?

• dantexx
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2010 02:03 #1 by dantexx
Hi.

My issue is that no matter what settings I use my vigor 2820n want to use always wan2 first, wan2 has less download/upload speed over my main dsl line so its frustrating that when I download something it uses wan2 and refuse to use wan1!!

I have tried several setups, like using wan2 only when wan1 down/up speed surpasses "x" kbps and still uses wan2 first, tried load balance mode to "according to line speed" instead of auto weight and still uses wan 2 first!.

Any ideas how to have both wans as always active but that vigor prioritizes usage of wan1 that is faster?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2010 08:32 #2 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic 2820n prioritizes wan2 over main wan1 why?
What firmware version ?

• dantexx
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2010 07:57 #3 by dantexx
Replied by dantexx on topic 2820n prioritizes wan2 over main wan1 why?
Sorry for not specifying: 3.3.4_232201

More
31 Aug 2010 10:54 #4 by stuc
Long shot but have you tried specifying the same DNS for both (E.G. open dns) ?

Not sure how the router decides wan1 is down but if wan2 dns always responds first could that skew loading?

More
31 Aug 2010 11:09 #5 by cifer
Replied by cifer on topic 2820n prioritizes wan2 over main wan1 why?
Wan2 will always be the faster connection as it has a 100mb connection to whatever is connected to it, the only way i have managed to get it using wan1 1st is to set the router to use wan1 until about 75% bandwidth usage and then use wan2, seems to work fine but you have to setup things like https to use one connection only as its causes fun with banking websites etc

More
02 Sep 2010 12:30 #6 by rpg
What about in WAN -> Load-Balancing Policy.

You can then specify that WAN1 should be used first with WAN2 as failover. You can also specify range of internal or external IP / Ports to use specific WAN connection.

You do need to be careful of the order of those rules though. The router evaluates the rules from 1 to 20 and as soon as it finds a rule that matches then it stops evaluating any more rules. If you put "Use WAN1 for everything" as the first rule it will never get to rule 2.

Moderators: ChrisSami