DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configuring 2820n as a cabled router on WAN2 & not ADSL

• trevor-dustan
  • Topic Author
More
15 Sep 2010 20:30 #1 by trevor-dustan
Hi

Is anybody able to help me with this question......

I have a client who’s just started a new business and they are hiring a room in a shared office block and now they need to buy an internet package via this office block i.e. managed service, (Pay as you go or per month) there is a cat5 patch panel where 1 cat5 cable feeds from the main office block comms room into the hired room. I’ve always used 2820/2820n for ADSL setups but never for cabled internet.

Is it possible to setup a 2820n as a cabled router? If it is possible, is anybody able to give me some guidelines or instructions on how to go about this.

Thanks in Advance

Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2010 07:21 #2 by j.baker
This is the same as adding a PPPoE modem to the WAN2 interface.

Go to WAN >> General Setup
Enable Wan2 and set active mode to be always on.

Then goto WAN >> Internet Access
Select the Dynamic/Static IP Tab
Enable it.

If the office block is using DHCP to assign an IP address, setup Obtain an IP address automatically. Otherwise specify IP details.

To be honest you can get cheaper routers to do this.

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

• trevor-dustan
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2010 08:33 #3 by trevor-dustan
Replied by trevor-dustan on topic Thanks
Thanks John, I will give this a go. I know there are cheaper devices that will do this but they may move offices in the near future and i want a good device for them to be able to use anywhere and if they ever go down the ADSL route. out of intrest which device was you thinking of ???

Once Again, Many Thanks

Trevor

More
16 Sep 2010 08:35 #4 by j.baker
You have not said how many users or the total bandwidth of the WAN links.

You can get routers from £20 upwards. It depends of support and features....although draytek and uspport in the same sentence to do not always go together.

Regards

John Baker

ADSL

• trevor-dustan
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2010 11:52 #5 by trevor-dustan
Hi John

Thanks for the quick reply, the total number of users at the mo is 2, they may take on a couple more members of staff in the next year or so. Def no more than 4 users (It's a very small company). As for the bandwidth the device will linked via the WAN to the managed service company firewall, so they have to pay for each package they want and this is very expensive (toatl of 3 packages). It's on the lines of package 1 is £250 pm for a 2meg line, package 2 is £400 pm for a 4meg line, package 3 £800 pm for a 10meg line, so it will only ever be a maximum of a 10meg line if they can afford it :-) so I think they will only ever go for the 2meg line which they have signed up for. hope this helps.

Many Thanks

Trevor

More
16 Sep 2010 11:56 #6 by j.baker
if you do not need a large amount of bandwidth, why not use a 3G dongle on the router. If you only use a bit of web and email then it may be enough....plus its way cheaper than the prices you listed. Just watch out for your bandwidth usage otherwise it will get costly.

You can only use Ethernet or USB but not both at the same time.

Regards

John Baker

ADSL

Moderators: ChrisSami