DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Specific network card / computer crashes Draytek 2820n?

• richardwatt
  • Topic Author
More
19 Sep 2010 18:40 #1 by richardwatt
Hiya,

Just hit a strange problem, new router, after a week of perfect stability the router started rebooting constantly (newest firmware was in place). I turned off and on / reset to factory settings without success.
So I unplugged all connections and added them back 1 by 1. I found whenever I plugged in one specific computer and accessed the network then the router rebooted.

I use Develo mains adapters but found these weren't at fault.

The same computer works via wireless to the same router and works the same wired connection to a Thomson ADSL router but this same wired connection consistantly causes the draytek to crash.
It's also strange that it's only started occuring and the same setup worked all right for a week with no changes AFAIK. The network card is a DLINK DFE-530TX PCI.
I'll do a scan with AVG Antivirus to see if that finds any infection (but if it was a virus then the wireless connection should have caused same issue?).

Anyone seen something similiar or able to explain this strange behaviour?

Cheers

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2010 20:26 #2 by sbv3000
I had a similar problem but with a VMWare XP virtual machine. as soon at the machine accessed the internet the router would reboot. this happened suddenly after being stable for months. like you i suspected a virus, but nothing detected. I monitored traffic with MS network monitor, nothing unusual. eventually I created a new machine.
you could try a different wired nic and also swap patch cabling and see what happens

• richardwatt
  • Topic Author
More
19 Sep 2010 21:49 #3 by richardwatt
Thanks,

I'm planning to go out tomorrow and buy a new NIC as they're cheap enough.

Rich.

More
20 Sep 2010 08:52 #4 by rothers
I'm using DLINK DFE-530TX PCI's with a 2820 and they work fine, maybe a hardware fault with that particular NIC.

• richardwatt
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2010 16:57 #5 by richardwatt
Thanks, after leaving the offending computer (with the dlink nic) unconnected for a day I reconnected and all was fine.

Great I thought, all fixed. Then I configured my's son pc for print (to a Canon PIXMA4850 connected to the USB port of the router) and the same thing happened. Something occurring on his pc was causing the router to continually re-cycle, when I removed his network cable the router was stable.

All this behaviour seems to co-incide with buying the new printer last Friday.
So my current theory is that's it's unrelated to network cards etc but a problem using the USB port on the router when connected to a printer.
I'll leave the printer unconnected and see if this stabilises everything, if this is the issue then I'll raise with support.

Cheers

Rich

Moderators: ChrisSami