DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2600 DHCP and naming my computers...

More
20 Sep 2010 12:57 #1 by tada
Hi!

I want the various machines on my network to refer to each other by name and not hardwire the ip address on them all.

Currently they all get their ip address from the 2600 using DHCP but I want to be able to ftp, ssh etc using the target host's hostname.

Am I expecting too much - or have I just got poor config.

FYI all my pcs run ubuntu, apart from the TiVo, XBox and Wii :-)

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2010 13:16 #2 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Vigor 2600 DHCP and naming my computers...
What are you using for local hostname resolution on your LAN ?

No the 2600 won't do it.

More
20 Sep 2010 14:12 #3 by tada
Bah! :-(

Thanks for replying - albeit with bad news :-)

So the router serves up the ip via DHCP but won't log the name of that host and then be its own DNS server?

Sounds like I'll have to make all the ip addresses static - what a chore!

Currently, I think I'm just forwarding the nameserver straight out to my ISP's nameservers - the router seems to do this automagically.

That is for real world name resolution - for local name resolution I'm currently not doing anything -just typing in all those ip addresses and its becoming a pain :-)

Cheers

More
21 Sep 2010 01:59 #4 by gmegson
Replied by gmegson on topic Vigor 2600 DHCP and naming my computers...

TaDa wrote: Bah! :-(

Thanks for replying - albeit with bad news :-)

So the router serves up the ip via DHCP but won't log the name of that host and then be its own DNS server?

Sounds like I'll have to make all the ip addresses static - what a chore!

Currently, I think I'm just forwarding the nameserver straight out to my ISP's nameservers - the router seems to do this automagically.

That is for real world name resolution - for local name resolution I'm currently not doing anything -just typing in all those ip addresses and its becoming a pain :-)

Cheers

Use a common host file on each PC or run a local DNS server with forwarders to your ISP....

More
21 Sep 2010 08:10 #5 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Vigor 2600 DHCP and naming my computers...
Maybe Multicast DNS would offer a more flexible solution.

More
21 Sep 2010 09:52 #6 by tada
Thanks. I think I've come up with a workable solution for now...

I have configured my main pc with a fixed ip address - this is typically the hub for all my activities (serving up media and for backups), the others are laptops and taken elsewhere so they need DHCP.

I can configure TiVo, the Wii and the XBox to go to this one main pc for their media.

Later, when I've saved a little money I might buy a small hackable NAS box and, since it'll probably be on all the time, put a DNS server on it (and all my media) (I'm thinking of a Western Digital World Book).

Its a shame the 2600 didn't do what I want but I have a more acceptable solution for now and a long term aim.

Cheers

Moderators: ChrisSami