DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 - combining 2 broadband lines to increase speed

• unrealone1
  • Topic Author
More
28 Sep 2010 14:01 #63994 by unrealone1
I have a Draytek 2820 router and 2 BT Broadband lines, I am currently using one them.
If I configure the 2nd broadband line with another modem and plug that into the WAN2 port of the draytek will I get increased speeds as well as a fallover?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2010 13:32 #64014 by rpg
No - it does not bond the lines together for faster speed but if you set it up correctly then you could be streaming BBC iPlayer from WAN1 using your full bandwidth and streaming 4od from WAN2 using your full bandwidth, rather than trying to pull both streams from 1 ADSL connection.

More
16 Dec 2010 12:51 #65275 by drunknmonk

rpg wrote: No - it does not bond the lines together for faster speed but if you set it up correctly then you could be streaming BBC iPlayer from WAN1 using your full bandwidth and streaming 4od from WAN2 using your full bandwidth, rather than trying to pull both streams from 1 ADSL connection.

how do you set this up please

thanks Gary

More
16 Dec 2010 15:13 #65276 by rpg
Take a look at section 3.1.6 of the user manual which you can download from:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html

Basically, the rules you create will be for (or any combination of):
Protocol
WAN port
Internal Start IP
Internal End IP
Destination Start IP
Destination End IP
Destination Start Port
Destination End Port

You could therefore say that:
All TCP traffic from internal IP address 192.168.1.10 going to destination IP of 202.202.202.4 on port 80 goes out on WAN1.

and
All TCP traffic from internal IP address 192.168.1.10 going to destination IP of 102.102.102.2 on port 80 goes out on WAN2.

You can easily build up a series of rules which pushes your traffic out on the WAN port you want it to go out on.

The only downside to the Draytek Load Balancing Policy is that it is all IP based rather than name based. In my previous example you would need to know the IP address (or range) for the BBC iPlayer and the IP address (or range) for 4od.

In my office I only really use it to say all outbound FTP traffic goes out on WAN1 (as that has a higher upload speed) and most browsing goes out on WAN2 (as that has a higher monthly cap - technically unlimited but dont get me started on that!!!). I then have a few rules for SMTP traffic depending on whether it is going to the ISP's SMTP gateway or being sent by DNS from my Exchange server.

Hope that helps.....

More
16 Dec 2010 16:24 #65277 by drunknmonk
Thanks rpg

this really helps, sooooooooooo, could I send all voip down wan 1, and data down wan 2

WAN >> Load-Balance Policy

Index Enable Protocol WAN Src IP Start Src IP End Dest IP Start Dest IP End Dest Port Start Dest Port End
1 tick any wan1 (voip) 192.168.2.25 192.168.2.29 x x x x

Index Enable Protocol WAN Src IP Start Src IP End Dest IP Start Dest IP End Dest Port Start Dest Port End
2 tick any wan2 (data) all all x x x x

these are all the devices for VOIP, 3CX phone server, IP phones & patton FXO 192.168.2.25 to 192.168.2.29, will the work, also how do I check it !!!

Thanks again for all your help

More
16 Dec 2010 21:20 #65280 by rpg
Yes thats right. Do be careful on the order of your rules though. A positive match from 1 to 10 means it stops processing any further rules. if you swapped your rules round then EVERYTHING would match the new rule 1 and as such all traffic would go on WAN2.

Also consider DNS in multi ISP setups. Recommend using Non-ISP based DNS servers - you do not want to be querying ISP1's DNS servers if traffic (and the query) is going out on WAN2! Look at OpenDNS.org (I think) or maybe google DNS.

Blind faith is always a good testing machanism !! If you want a little more than that take a look at Diagnostics -> Data Flow Monitor. That does not show exactly what is going where but it should show you the IP of the internal device and the current traffic. At the bottom it shows current traffic for WAN1, WAN2 and a total. You should be able to check that traffic is going as it should.

Alternatively, Diagnostics -> NAT Sessions Table should show you the IP, port, destination and WAN port, but if you have lots of devices online that may be a bit crowded.

Have fun.....

Moderators: Sami