DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Speed issues with web content filter on 2820 (wcf)

More
29 Sep 2010 12:55 #1 by sl33
I'm using a new 2820 and I need to have the web content filter enabled to restrict access to sites by users.

The problem is that this slows down general website access tremendously (20 seconds to load bbc news instead of 2 seconds without the filter enabled). I assume that for each check of a website, the router needs to query a database that's elsewhere on the internet.

Has anyone got any experience of other Draytek products further up the range and whether they can process the filter quicker (or hold a local copy of the filter database)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2010 13:11 #2 by j03y
What firmware are you using?

You could try disabling "Enable Strict Security Firewall" if you have it selected in Firewall > General Setup to see if that helps.

More
29 Sep 2010 13:28 #3 by sl33

J03y wrote: What firmware are you using?

You could try disabling "Enable Strict Security Firewall" if you have it selected in Firewall > General Setup to see if that helps.

I'm using firmware 3.3.3_232201.

Strict security is NOT enabled.

More
29 Sep 2010 14:10 #4 by voodle
If you're seeing speed issues with the WCF on 3.3.3, that's probably because the surfcontrol service is being semi-discontinued by websense, which is why it's been replaced with the globalview WCF in the 3.3.4 firmware (along with subscription). It might be worth trying the 3.3.4 firmware and using the 30 day trial of globalview to see if that speeds things up.

More
29 Sep 2010 14:15 #5 by sl33

Voodle wrote: If you're seeing speed issues with the WCF on 3.3.3, that's probably because the surfcontrol service is being semi-discontinued by websense, which is why it's been replaced with the globalview WCF in the 3.3.4 firmware (along with subscription). It might be worth trying the 3.3.4 firmware and using the 30 day trial of globalview to see if that speeds things up.

Thanks for the tip. I'll upgrade the firmware and see if that helps.

More
29 Sep 2010 14:24 #6 by g6ifs
But make certain that none of the new bugs reported in this forum will cause you a problem.
I had to give up on 3.3.4 as it kept restarting the ADSL line every few minutes, going back to 3.3.3 sorted out the problem.
I am suprised at Draytek as it is now more than 3 months since the last software release and there is no update in sight.
In my opion, the latest software is the worst ever produced. They added many new features but created even more bugs!!

Moderators: ChrisSami