Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Control internet access by device and time

• angelawilcox
  • Topic Author
More
30 Sep 2010 15:12 #1 by angelawilcox
Control internet access by device and time was created by angelawilcox
Hi,

We have several computers, 2 games machines and 2 ipod touch devices and a Vigor 2710vn wireless router.

I need to be able to control the internet access of my children so that I know that they cannot be on their game machine, laptop or ipod touch after a certain time in the evening. However I want the other devices in the house to continue working.

I have everything set up to bind the mac address to an IP address so that devices always get the same IP. I have grouped each persons IP addresses together and created an object for them (eg all one son's devices get addresses between 40 and 49 and there is an object for him).

I can add schedules but find the rest of the interface very complicated. I think I need to add a filter somehow, but cannot find anything that describes how to do this. Surely this must be a common request and I know how I could do it in a BTHomeHub just not in my Vigor router. Since it is so configurable it must be possible - just not clear to me.

Would be very grateful for any help on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2010 16:12 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Control internet access by device and time
You'll need to make a filter rule under Firewall - Filter Rule - #2 Default Data set with the action of Block Immediately and a Service Type of any to block access to those devices - to schedule it you'll need to make schedule under Application - Schedule then apply it in the filter rule by entering the schedule number in the "index 1-15" bit.
You'd set the IP by going to Edit for the Source IP in the filter rule then select the groups & objects you want to block.

• angelawilcox
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2010 13:00 #3 by angelawilcox
Replied by angelawilcox on topic Control internet access by device and time
I tried this and it does block, but all the time, not to the schedule I specify.

More
05 Oct 2010 13:42 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Control internet access by device and time
you might need to make sure that the time is set correctly on the router, that's done under System maintenance - Time and Date, set it to use internet time for best results.
Also if it's blocking all the time (which it shouldn't do, the filter rule should only be active for the duration of the schedule you've made) then check that the schedule is set up right, it goes Start time then Duration, the action doesn't matter.

Also if you want to block it for only some devices, make sure you set the source IP to match those addresses either using Range address or Single Address.

Moderators: ChrisSami