DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2800 firmware update (failure)

More
04 Oct 2010 15:03 #1 by click
Hi everyone,

Just quickly - to share my experience of a firmware update that made me being grateful having such a robust piece of hardware (and software).

I was upgrading original, factory (first?! at least first on the list of release note versions) firmware of Vigor 2800 ADSL modem to the latest.

At the beginning of each firmware update you have an warning that you mustn't interfere with the process anyhow or it might result in damaged router (modem, etc). I've not aware that I've done something to it and TFTP client claimed that it finished update properly, still - at the end I had first two leds flashing and after a minute or two switch went completely down and I had no modem or network connectivity! It obviously failed and failed big way!

Fortunately I didn't give up then and tried everything including pressing hardware reset (and keeping it pressed for 5-10s). That last thing returned switch functionality but only for a couple of minutes.

But, then I discovered that during that time router responded to all IP addresses and happily accepted TFTP connections, so I re-did the process (which I did, inadvertently interrupted once) supplying the same version of firmware and (after second time) it brought router/modem back to life! :D

I really like the fact that software was so good to have the simplest TFTP server if everything fails. Well done! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami