DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

static route for PS3

• bandedge
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2010 23:05 #64124 by bandedge
static route for PS3 was created by bandedge
can anyone tell me how to sort the ip, primary and secondary as i am used to netgear and want to set router up for static ip but all figures are different and cannot find way round in the 2820n yet, i would be most grateful :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 08:08 #64125 by j.baker
Replied by j.baker on topic static route for PS3
Hi

Can you explain what you are trying to do? Are you trying to setup a fixed IP address for the WAN connection, or for a device on the LAN?

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

• bandedge
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2010 20:02 #64201 by bandedge
Replied by bandedge on topic static route for PS3

j.baker wrote: Hi
yes am trying to do that but didnt have the ip addresses, i have got it set it up now but only get a good connection on gaming when laptop is on i put 192.168.1.1 in all the address boxes primary and secondary, apart from static adress, thanks for replying

Can you explain what you are trying to do? Are you trying to setup a fixed IP address for the WAN connection, or for a device on the LAN?

More
11 Nov 2010 18:41 #64830 by daveray
Replied by daveray on topic Static route for PS3?
Are you getting a DNS error like "DNS error 80710102" when trying to get onto the Playstation Network...minus the laptop? Are you somehow sharing the internet via the laptop?

I had to setup my son on it and we got an error. It generally means the PS3 cannot see the DNS servers. There are just a few things you need to check.

If you follow the 4 steps below you should get the PS3 connected to the internet via the Draytek

1. From the homepage of the 2820 click Firewall then DoS Defence - check that isn't on as it can cause problems with the PS3. Go back to the homepage
2. Click Applications and then UPnP, ensure the options are checked
3. Go back to the homepage and Click Online Status. At the top it should say LAN Status and to the right it should list Primary and Secondary DNS Servers. Make a note of these.
4. Go back to the homepage and click LAN, then General Settings. In the bottom right hand side you should see DNS Server IP Address. Put a check in the box "Force DNS Manual Settings" and then enter the DNS server addresses you made a note of.

That's it....you should get the option to reboot the router. Allow this with the "current configuration".

Go to the PS3 and restart it...the settings should be ready to go. I prefer Ethernet because on wireless it can cause issues with the amount of data. My son complains about issues that never appear if it's on the wired connection. Having said that he is playing COD: Black Ops multiplayer with voice and audio online. It works fine via wireless on any other app.

The PS3 should auto detect the DNS servers and IP address but if not go into the network settings and follow the steps - they are pretty easy and basically (from memory) you only need to assign the primary and secondary DNS servers with the rest left on Auto.

I hope that helps and it is what you needed - if not then maybe it will help someone else looking for a solution.....shout again if you still need help. :)

• bandedge
  • Topic Author
More
13 Nov 2010 22:51 #64859 by bandedge
Replied by bandedge on topic static route for PS3
thanks for that, one of my main issues was setting up a static route which increased speed for playing games like cod, the faster your up and downloads the more likely you are to get host. i have a problem with the setup as with netgear i new all addresses and codes, i got told puting your static route in the DNZ aided easier connection which helped with hosting games but could cause security problems, i also turned off QOS

seems to be ok but IT mate said i would be better changing setup

Moderators: ChrisSami