Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Port sniffing using 2820n

• saurabh.28j
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2010 12:46 #1 by saurabh.28j
Port sniffing using 2820n was created by saurabh.28j
Hi Guys,
I can't find the commands on the router after logging in via Telnet as mentioned on smart monitor port mirroring link.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_portmirror.html

Do I need a different firmware?
Which firmware support these commands?

Currently I am on
Firmware Version 3.3.0
Build Date/Time : Oct 8 2008 16:04:36
ADSL Firmware Version : 211801_A Annex A

Kindly Help.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2010 19:10 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Port sniffing using 2820n
it's from 3.3.2 onwards but that's a fairly rubbish firmware, 3.3.3 adds it in the web interface under the LAN menu as Monitor Port or something.
3.3.4 is the better firmware for port sniffing because it actually works with smartmonitor, where the other ones do not.

• saurabh.28j
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2010 20:14 #3 by saurabh.28j
Replied by saurabh.28j on topic Thanks mate

Voodle wrote: it's from 3.3.2 onwards but that's a fairly rubbish firmware, 3.3.3 adds it in the web interface under the LAN menu as Monitor Port or something.
3.3.4 is the better firmware for port sniffing because it actually works with smartmonitor, where the other ones do not.

Will try 3.3.4.1 , thanks again

• saurabh.28j
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2010 14:52 #4 by saurabh.28j
Replied by saurabh.28j on topic No Records for Individual IP's ?
Port Sniffer is on and Smart monitor connected to right NIC, still no data for individual PC on User analysis of smart monitor.
I only see data on the home screen with total traffic on each protocol.

Details:
The Server is connected with two NICs.
One of them is a normal NIC with full network.
Other is the Mirror NIC connected to the port 2 on the router, which is sniffing port 1 data.

-Now When I want to connect to Smart monitor, It usually keeps searching for the router.
-I have to manually disable the port 2 (Sniffing) nic and then just allow the other full internet nic to make smart monitor detect and connect to router.
-Once connected I again enable the Sniffing NIC PORT 2 and check the data on smart monitor.
-Smart Monitor is connected to that sniff port 2 in the system settings.

Also,
We have normally over 50 ips active at all times and total around 100 ips we have in our network. Is this the reason Smart monitor cannot get the data because it only supports upto 30 IPs with our router (2820n)?

More
04 Nov 2010 10:23 #5 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Hi everyone
I'd like to get Port sniffing working via my Vigor2820VSn , which has firmware 3.3.3 at the moment since upgrading the firmware disables wan2 inbound port forwarding for web server etc

Basically Out of the 4 ports on the 2820VSn

P1 is for the company LAN ( to HP Procurve 1800-24G )
P2 is the Mirror Port ( to Mac Mini LAN )
P3 not in use but may use it for HP colour laserjet 2600N for both VLAN P3 and Company LAN P1
P4 is for Guest Network VLAN ( to Procurve 2626-PWR to 4 x Draytek AP700 )

So the Big Question is if i want to Port Sniff the VLAN P4 to the mirror port of P2 would i have to include p2 as the VLAN as well as it been on the normal LAN ( company lan ) ?

The mac mini is also used to record ip cameras and rdp accessible via lan and internet access ,

Moderators: ChrisSami