DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 3.3.4 Bugs - incoming port 80 going AWOL / SIP reboots

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2010 16:26 #1 by reetp
Have a 2820 (well, I actually have 3 2820s but the particular problem is only noticeable on this one due to its configuration)

Have one machine set as a web server on a DMZ.

A couple of months back we noticed that we were getting timeouts connecting to the web server. We would use one URL (www.myhost.com) and after a period of time we could no longer access the server. It would sometimes come back again after a period of time.

We would then swap to an alternative URL (www.myotherhost.com/directory) and it would work, but then again after an undefined period it would just stop.

From monitoring the server logs I could see that the webserver was not actually getting hit. As I have had Drayteks for some long while I never believed it would be the router causing the problem so chased my butt for weeks trying to figure the problem. As the problem was never permanent or easy to replicate, it took me quite a long time to realise it was the router. I finally figured that the problems started when I upgraded to 3.3.4 a few months back. I had also upgraded again to 3.3.4.1 which didn't help, so I downgraded back to 3.3.3 and presto ! - as if by magic - it all works OK again.

At the same time I have experienced a problem with incoming SIP/VOIP calls from our Telrad phone system on a 2820Vn here - sometimes it just trips the router completely. I am going to downgrade this one as well and see what happens.

Having read about 3.3.4 firmware I have to say that it appears that Draytek have let themselves down big time on this. It has to be one of the most bug ridden bits of code to hit the planet outside of Microsoft offerings. I normally swear by Draytek, not at them. But it has cost me a huge amount of time & effort to solve this and I won't be buying another one in a hurry.

The router itself is in our offices in the UK, but I live and work in Spain. The routers were all bought in the UK but two are over here. So I have no idea who I should contact to report a bug - my Spanish is OK to a point, but I think this will be a step too far !

I am quite happy to help debug if someone in Draytek wishes to contact me but I have no intention of paying for the privilege of reporting a bug on the tech phone lines.

B. Rgds
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2010 21:08 #2 by reado
Our issue is similar if not the same. Since upgrading to 3.3.4 the router randomly blocks outgoing SIP traffic, sometimes both ways, and a reboot always resolves the issue.

Contacted DrayTek and they just scratch their heads and say "the router wouldn't block outgoing traffic unless you had a firewall rule doing it". I've also been advised no one else has reported this issue....... Despite pointing them to several other posts on these forums of people saying the same thing.

I'm actually surprised 3.3.4 contained over 100 fixes... Never experienced a problem with 3.3.3, nor any of the issues mentioned in the ChangeLog, and we use every feature on the DrayTek in addition to WAN2!

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
13 Oct 2010 15:23 #3 by reetp

Reado wrote:
Contacted DrayTek and they just scratch their heads and say "the router wouldn't block outgoing traffic unless you had a firewall rule doing it". I've also been advised no one else has reported this issue....... Despite pointing them to several other posts on these forums of people saying the same thing.

Hence my reason for not bothering to phone tech support when they will undoubtedly tell me they haven't a clue, because it's patently obvious from reading round here that they haven't.

Once I realised it was probably the router, I figured I must have a firewall rule in place or something like DOS was kicking in. I went through and disabled everything I could find, to no avail. Hence a downagrade with 3.3.3 .all and it was fine again.

Downgraded the router I use here for VOIP and it all seems fine with incoming rings now.

IMHO 3.3.4 is a dead duck and someone, somewhere, has screwed up big time.

More
14 Oct 2010 20:05 #4 by reado
I think it's a load balancing bug. I noticed one of the changes in the 3.3.4 firmware was a load balancing bug was fixed... In our case the VoIP traffic is routed using load balancing rules. No other traffic uses these rules, until recently, when I setup two new servers internally and wanted to force them to use a specific WAN and external IP. It was fine, then without warning they couldn't access certain ports, but other ports were fine. Rebooting the router fixed the issue till it happened again.

DrayTek have dismissed this. They suggested trying 3.3.4.1 which I've read on the forums is even worse.

It's funny how DrayTek just seem to be making matters worse by releasing even more unstable firmware, and then suggest you try it regardless of the posts people make on here.

Definitely considering something a little more reliable for our next router purchase, perhaps a Cisco.

More
18 Oct 2010 01:21 #5 by richard2
Replied by richard2 on topic Another confirmation
I'm also experiencing exactly the same problem!

I've just upgraded my router to the latest firmware (version 3.3.4.1) and reset its configuration, but the problem persists!

I've had nothing but problems with my Vigor 2820n. I'll never buy another DrayTek product. :evil:

Moderators: ChrisSami