Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820, NAT, FTP - Issue

• tyretraders
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2010 17:58 #1 by tyretraders
Vigor 2820, NAT, FTP - Issue was created by tyretraders
Hello,

We are having a problem setting up an FTP server using this Draytek box.

Background:

We have a machine running Filezilla, this was working fine with a netgear file. No problems, never a bother.

Management decided they needed to control user internet access more tightly and wanted the Draytek set-up for its URL and Content filters. Which (after a hard fought battle with the router) work fine.

We have two wan interfaces connected. We have none of the management variations selected. FTP on the draytek is on a none standards port.

The Problem:

Well at the most simple level we are constantly recieving a message of "425 Can't open data connection."

Looking a little deeper it seems that the routine isn't haddling passive requests as it should. Despite only allowing passive mode on the ftp server to use 40001 to 40010 we are seeing ports of 50000+ being used.

What solutions have we looked at:

We have tried supplying both the wan and lan ip for the passive settings to fool the router - no luck.

We have tried ringing draytek premium support whos configuration made the dray box hang - when i told them this they slammed the phone down on me and it was a hectic half hour whiled i sorted it out (we have websites running on this line). thier configuation included a load balancing entry that seemed to be the cause of the halt.

We have opening the ports required in different ways - i.e port redirection and open ports to no avail.

Can anyone give us any ideas on how to address this.

Kind Regards,

Tyretraders.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tyretraders
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2010 18:10 #2 by tyretraders
Replied by tyretraders on topic Additional
forgot to mention that we have a phone connecting through 3g that can have full ftp access and control 100% of the time and uses the correct ports - this is passive.

However on both internal and external networks using a variety of different FTP clients (Filezilla, windows, ftp pro) we get the data connection error. We can can however login sucessfully everytime.

Thanks

Tyretraders

More
19 Oct 2010 09:46 #3 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Vigor 2820, NAT, FTP - Issue
What do you see in your client and server logs ?

Is the client correctly requesting passive mode with the PASV command ?
Is the sever responding with the correct port number ?
Is the port number reply received by the client ?

Moderators: ChrisSami