DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Two routers on one network - More issues

• badhead
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2010 23:56 #1 by badhead
Hi,

I have a Draytek Vigor2710Vn ADSL router and a Draytek Vigor 2110n broadband router and I have managed to join them together on one network.

I did this so as to provide different levels of wireless security for different devices attached to my network. This is because I have I want my computers to connect to the internet using WPA2. However, there are two devices on my network that can only connect using WEP.

I would like to set the 2710Vn with WPA2 and the 2110n with WEP, and limit the connection to either router by using MAC addresses of each device to decided which one should use which router. All devices to should be able to connect to the internet.

I have managed to get the two routers linked together by attaching the 2710Vn to the 2110n via a network port on both. However, I am completely unable to get the 2110n to wirelessly connect to the internet.

Although my computer can access the internet from the 2110n when wired, none of my devices can access the internet wirelessly using the 2110. There is no problem connecting to the internet wirelessly using the 2710Vn.

No matter what I do or what type of internet access I use (whether "PPPoE" or "Static or Dynamic IP", I cannot get the 2110n to access the internet.

I have an ADSL internet link and the 2710Vn is an ADSL router that is connected to the phone line. The 2110n is not an ADSL router, but a broadband router.

I have tried connecting the WAN port on the 2110n to a WLAN port on the 2710n, but this loses my internet connection and renders the 2710n unreachable from my computer.

Can I reslove this issue?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

BadHead :)
---
Router: DrayTek Vigor 2710Vn

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom I I X4 965 Black Edition
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: Asus Matrix 5870 Platinum Edition
SSD: OcZ Vertex 90Gb; HDD: 5.60Tb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2010 12:55 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Two routers on one network - More issues
You say the 2710 is providing your internet connection, so -

Connect a LAN port on the 2110 to a LAN port on the 2710.
Do NOT use the WAN port of your 2110 - you want to use it only as an access point.
Give the 2110 a static LAN IP Address on the same subnet but outside of the DHCP range of the 2710
Make sure DHCP is turned OFF on the 2110 (Both LAN and Wifi)
Give each router a different SSID for the WiFi to prevent confusion, and set them on different channels.

That should be pretty much all you need to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami