DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setup of Qos on 2820

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2010 10:09 #1 by robathome
Setup of Qos on 2820 was created by robathome
Hi I've never done anything with QoS and having just read the manual it's still cloudy. For example:

Outbound TCP ACK
Prioritize
The difference in bandwidth between download and upload
are great in ADSL2+ environment. For the download speed
might be impacted by the uploading TCP ACK, you can
check this box to push ACK of upload faster to speed the
network traffic

Not great for comprehension...

I have a remote user who has an IP phone setup (not using the 2820's VoiP ) who uses our IP switchboard to get VoiP calls. For this, we have a shed load of TCP and UDP ports forwarded to the switchboard. The phone engineer has asked me to setup QoS to give him priority, but I have little idea what options to choose here - I have setup some services and classes but it's pretty much guesswork on which boxes to tick etc. Is there an idiot's guide around?

thanks
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2010 22:22 #2 by bradley porter
Replied by bradley porter on topic Setup of Qos on 2820
Hi Rob,

TCP ACK is (in my mind) a good thing to have on. In way of any example, if the line is saturated with an upload then TCP ACK will minimise the disruption in speed on a concurrent download. So, you can turn that on for a start without much worry.

The QoS issue is a little bit of a jungle and you can ask 10 people who would each give you a different (but nonetheless correct) answer on how to configure!

Am I right in assuming that your remote user is accessing your VoIP equipment via your Draytek Router? In short, is he on the outside of the Router trying to access internal VoIP services on your Network?

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2010 11:20 #3 by robathome
Replied by robathome on topic Setup of Qos on 2820
Yep that's exactly it. There are about 9 port forwards to the switchboards 2 IP addresses - a variety of TCP and UDP across a range of ports - which I have duplicated into a set of rules for QoS, and then applied IN (and then BOTH).

Hasn't helped though - in the monitor you get once enabled I am getting 0 traffic in Class 1 which is the one I programmed
thanks
Rob

More
29 Oct 2010 00:02 #4 by abrookesuk
Replied by abrookesuk on topic Setup of Qos on 2820
Rob

Sorry not the answer but I am getting exactly the same, what is your firmware version?

I have a 2820VN that was running 3.3.3. I edited the bandwidth management config to reflect the fact that I have a SIP device at home.

I configured the following service types...

1 SIP TCP/UDP 5060
2 SIP Tunnel TCP 5090
3 RTP UDP 16384-32768
4 SIP TLS TCP/UDP 5061
5 STUN TCP/UDP 10000

I then configured the rules...

NO Status Local Address Remote Address DiffServ CodePoint Service Type

1 Active Any Any ANY SIP
2 Active Any Any ANY SIP Tunnel
3 Active 10.1.0.22 Any ANY RTP
4 Active Any Any ANY SIP TLS
5 Active Any Any ANY STUN

Where 10.1.0.22 is the address of the device...and I applied these to the class 1 traffic

Then on my general index I set the following...

WAN1 General Setup
Enable the QoS Control
Index Class Name Reserved_bandwidth Ratio
Class 1 SIP VOIP 70%
Class 2 10%
Class 3 10%
Others 10%

So in theory when any SIP traffic is present is should get the higher ratio of the bandwidth. On checking the online status we could see the SIP traffic - no issues.

I then noticed that during iTunes updates my voice was becoming 'droppy'. I checked with a colleague and we removed the STUN config.

Since then all traffic is shown in the 'others' class and voice is droppy despite the fact that QoS is enabled. I upgraded to 3.3.4 (before I read the forum) and we had no difference...once I read the notes I downgraded to 3.3.3 a - this did not seem to resolve the issues so I did a 3.3.3 rst....still now joy.

Others have reverted back and all seems to have been cleared but this does not work for me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.3_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:23:15
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

• robathome
  • Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2010 12:27 #5 by robathome
Replied by robathome on topic Setup of Qos on 2820
I have been faffing about with QoS and haven't got 1 packet to go through my Class 1....

I am on firmware
Model Name : Vigor2820n
Firmware Version : 3.3.4_243601
Build Date/Time : Jun 15 2010 10:38:55
ADSL Firmware Version : 243601_A Hardware: Annex A

Am on "special" adsl f/w because of issues with ADSL2+ dropping (still an issue but we are just living with it)

• pkecun
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2010 14:21 #6 by pkecun
Replied by pkecun on topic Setup of Qos on 2820

robathome wrote:
I am on firmware
Model Name : Vigor2820n
Firmware Version : 3.3.4_243601

Try moving back to 3.3.3 or up to 3.3.4.1 - I had a few problems with QoS with 3.3.4 months ago. Not saying it's a guaranteed fix.. but it's worth a try if you've done everything else

Moderators: ChrisSami