Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820

• manney
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2010 10:21 #64424 by manney
Hi,
wondering if anyone can lend a hand.

I'm trying to get a Three 3g Mobile Broadband dongle (ZTE MF112) working as a backup connection on the draytek

The dongle works fine and has an excellent connection strength when connected to my laptop, but does not seem to be able to connect when connected to the draytek

I have set the APN to 3internet, but going back to the OnlineStatus page and forcing WAN2 to connect does not seem to make it connect

Has anyone managed to get this working?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2010 10:41 #64425 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820
That modem needs the "wan modem force on" command entered in the router's telnet interface, after that it should detect the modem properly.

• manney
  • Topic Author
More
14 Dec 2010 09:31 #65244 by manney
Replied by manney on topic Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820
Thanks for the reply Voodle, sorry it's taken me ages to get back to the thread but I've been working on other things.

I've tried issuing the "wan modem force on" command via telnet, rebooted the router but there does not seem to be any kind of difference

Is there anything else you can think of that I can try?

More
10 Jan 2011 16:27 #65567 by isneyd
Replied by isneyd on topic Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820
I'd be interested if anyone has a solution to this problem, though I must admit that the MF112 won't work with an edimax wireless travel router either though as manney describes, it works fine on a PC (and a macbook for that matter)

More
10 Jan 2011 17:23 #65569 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820
It definitely works, I've got an MF112 that I use with my 2820 on occasion (it's practically the swiss army knife of routers, I can even connect my iPhone in tethering mode and share that :D)

Make sure you've got the 3.3.3 or later firmware, I recommend trying 3.3.5.1 as that's meant to auto detect the MF112 though you might need to factory default the router to get it to do that.
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.5.1/annexA/2820V3.3.5.1A232201/

Check on the Online Status page of the router for a mobile phone icon, that indicates that its been detected, then make sure you've got the APN right "3internet" and it shoudl then connect :)

More
02 Feb 2011 21:24 #66044 by matthewl
Replied by matthewl on topic Can't get USB 3g modem to work with 2820
Does anyone know if this USB modem will work with the 2920?

Moderators: ChrisSami