Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port

• skarnm
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2010 11:42 #1 by skarnm
100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port was created by skarnm
Hello,

I currently have a 2820vn and I use the virgin 50Mb service. The cable modem plugs into the WAN port on this device.

As you may/may not know Virgin Media are about to rollout a 100Mb service. Does anyone know if there are any issues with feeding a 100Mb connection into the WAN port.

If anyone has been doing this, any performance issues, does the device become unstable etc?

Any thoughts you could share would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2010 12:16 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port
I don't think the 2820 is rated for such a high throughput. I could be wrong here but I'm sure it's rated for somewhere between 20-25 Mbps

The 100M connection would work well enough, but I don't think you'd get a speed improvement, because I don't think you're maxing out your line at the moment.

More
27 Oct 2010 12:32 #3 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port
The 2820 series is rated at 50Mb/s - see http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• skarnm
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2010 14:25 #4 by skarnm
Replied by skarnm on topic 100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port
I don't understand what you mean about maxing out my line. My downloads pretty much hit 6.11Mbs atm.

So it's the firewall where my problem would occur.

I've only had this for about 8 months and I've hit a bottle neck. I never expected the Wan connection to be the problem, just the LAN part.

Anyone want to buy a 2820Vn ? :)

On a more sensible note, after looking at the prices for the 2920Vn since this seems the only one capable of handling 100Mbs in. It does make the drayteks an expensive option for the home user. There are 90K virgin customers on 50Mb, who maybe looking for an upmarket solution than what they get bundled with, and it may be a little bit steep for them at £200.

More
27 Oct 2010 16:44 #5 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic 100Mb connection on 2820vn WAN port
The port speed & throughput are two different things. Just cause the label says 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s doesn't mean thats what you'll get chucked out the other side. Same for any network device. All routers have a proc, an OS & RAM. In fact all the same bottlenecks & performance limiters that a regular PC has. If you buy a Cisco 1841 with a WIC1ADSL and the firewall licence, you'll be spending a few hundred quid & only getting a stated throughput of around 40Mb/s. Even Cisco say thats in "ideal" conditions.

www.alits.co.uk

Moderators: ChrisSami