DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Failover fails with everything but private IPs

More
03 Nov 2010 12:07 #1 by dands
Hi,
I’m hoping this is just a configuration issue but after trying countless different combinations of settings and reading the FAQs I still cannot make this work.

I’ve a 2820n on BT business broadband which is my WAN1, and a separate connection and router which is connected as WAN2.

Both these connections run fine providing my test computer is assign a private IP by the router and don’t use any redirecting services such as DMZ Host, or Address Mapping.

If I assign my test machine one of my static IPs on WAN1 (which works fine), then the computer loses its connection when I pull the phoneline out and the router jumps to WAN2; it cannot resolve names, nor can it ping any IPs on the net.
The same thing occurs when I set the computer back to a privately assign IP and use DMZ host to forward data from the same static IP, it works fine on WAN1 but when the router jumps over to WAN2 the computer can’t see the net at all.
If I use Address Mapping to connect the static and private IPs again the same thing happens.

Obviously I don’t expect any ports to still be forwarded to the computer, but it should still have basic net access via WAN2?

I can post my configuration details if that would help.
Cheers in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2010 14:29 #2 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic Failover fails with everything but private IPs
You using ISP DNS servers? Maybe try something like OpenDNS as this is not locked to an ISP. Its free to use. Google OpenDNS & then test with a familiar site like bbc.co.uk or suchlike.

www.alits.co.uk

More
03 Nov 2010 15:47 #3 by dands
Unfortunately when using either opendns or google the same occurs.

More
04 Nov 2010 10:26 #4 by lozstlouis
Have you got an internal server looking at any DNS?

www.alits.co.uk

More
04 Nov 2010 11:50 #5 by dands

Have you got an internal server looking at any DNS?

No, not at the moment, I'm only testing the router so only have a single machine attached.

This is my current config, hopefully i've just set something incorrectly:

IP here is set to dynamic (because BT is weird), but if I go with just one IP statically set the same problem still occurs:

Sending the extra IPs to the NAT pool doesn't make a difference:

WAN2 is just being feed a static IP from another router:

As said above I've tried forcing a external DNS server as well:

Can anyone see anything obvious that's wrong?

More
04 Nov 2010 16:06 #6 by lozstlouis
Looks ok to me - unless someone else can see anything?

Have you tried a straight ping & tracert when things are going loopy to see where things are falling over.

I know BT mutliple IP addressing is odd. You get a dynamic address & then the statics appear beneath it somewhere.

www.alits.co.uk

Moderators: ChrisSami