Vigor 2910 Syslog blues

• cpgsupport
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
24 Nov 2010 09:41 #1 by cpgsupport
Vigor 2910 Syslog blues was created by cpgsupport
I have a number of 2910's that i want to use Syslog to report the log files to a remote server.

My original plan was to have the logging utility supllied on the disk running on a Windows 2003 server and all the 2910's reporting to it.

My problem is that not one of the 15 2910's I have is reporting anything. I have tried using the utility, Setting up the units to report to the ip address of a Unix box running the syslog daemon. Even installing the windows utility to a pc on the same subnet as a draytek yields no logs.

Is there something I am missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2010 12:59 #2 by j03y
Replied by j03y on topic Vigor 2910 Syslog blues
Have you added the syslog utility to the firewall exceptions on each PC?

• cpgsupport
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
24 Nov 2010 15:18 #3 by cpgsupport
Replied by cpgsupport on topic Vigor 2910 Syslog blues

J03y wrote: Have you added the syslog utility to the firewall exceptions on each PC?

Thanks for the reply :)

Both the unix and windows PC's aren't running any firewall (windows or 3rd party) as this was my first port of call.

When the utility is running I'm unable to telnet to the Syslog port (514) on the windows box. The unix boxes have that port open and i get a prompt when connected via telnet. So that would suggest that the syslog daemon is ready to accept a connection. It's like theres not any output from the 2910's

The only firewall that comes into play is the ones on the Gateway router and the ADSL modem. Hence the reason for trying it with PC's on the same subnet.

Moderators: ChrisSami