DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Please! Someone explain Web Content Filtering on 2820N

• andyjt
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2010 14:37 #65025 by andyjt
Hi,

I'm curious to know how to get Web Content Filtering working on our 2820N Router. However, all the info I can find is very confusing and I don't really feel like blindly turning stuff on without some clear information...

1. Do you HAVE to have a trial license of BPjM or Commtouch ?
2. Which service is better ?
3. What exactly do the services provide ? Is it like an updated list of things like shopping site IP's, Facebook server IP's ??
4. Where do you purchase a full license ? How long do they last ? How much are they ?
5. I've seen some information which suggest you can add keyword matching to block sites containing the word Facebook for example...does this feature require BPjm or Commtouch ? If not, how do you set this up ?
6. Is this parental control a different thing again ??:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_parentalcontrol.html
and what exactly does "Note : This feature is not officially available on any models yet." mean ????
7. Oh and should we update to latest firmware for content filtering ? It's currently 3.3.4_232201

Yours very :?
A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2010 14:38 #65049 by jimus
Sorry to jump on the back of your post rather than help!

I am currently interested in a 2820n to replace my current router for exactly this capability (i.e. web filtering). I am hoping it will provide a secure / central way of managing the internet connection on my network for my kids.

So my reason for posting is to hopefully encourage an answer and some comments on the effectiveness of the system.

Cheers

Jimus

More
28 Nov 2010 18:04 #65051 by sbv3000
have you thought of using opendns or dyndns web filtering either on the 2820 or current router?

• andyjt
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2010 10:15 #65056 by andyjt

jimus wrote: Sorry to jump on the back of your post rather than help!

I am currently interested in a 2820n to replace my current router for exactly this capability (i.e. web filtering). I am hoping it will provide a secure / central way of managing the internet connection on my network for my kids.

Hi,
I have managed to stumble my way around the system on the 2820N and get web filtering working and scheduled for office hours.
So far it seems to work well but I'm not sure how much it costs yet as it's still a trial version. I've seen £60 (a year I presume) mentioned somewhere, so am thinking it's a bit steep for home use ?
Personally, I have installed NetNanny at home for a friend - that is extremely strict and good at blocking unsuitable images... this would cost you about £30 a year
I've also installed Norton Family Online which was free and works very well from the little I tested...there is also the free Microsoft version Windows Live Family Safety which I tried but couldn't get to work.

By the way, I can't recommend the 2820n router enough, I really think it's worth paying the extra for. We've had lots of £50-£100 routers in the past and have always had issues - especially overheating and having to reboot them all the time. The draytek has run 24-7 for months now without ever needing a reboot, and IMO the wifi range is better than other N routers I've tried. I know some people aren't happy with these units, but I feel that these must be the exception - just make sure firmware is up to date before setting it up.

HTH

More
29 Nov 2010 17:04 #65061 by jimus

andyjt wrote:
So far it seems to work well but I'm not sure how much it costs yet as it's still a trial version. I've seen £60 (a year I presume) mentioned somewhere, so am thinking it's a bit steep for home use ?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Accessories.asp?ProductID=5267

Yep, £55 + VAT every 12 months which I think is unjustifiable and if the this function is iimportant to an individual then it is one factor against getting a 2820.

If you get the Draytek 2710 its £26 + VAT for exactly the same service. heh

Ironic as you can get this service for free

Chunks

More
20 Dec 2010 13:41 #65321 by johntankard
I think it is totally out of order, once, not that long ago you didn't have to pay for the service on the 2820. Draytek what are you doing??? Are you trying to put users off buying your products.

John

Moderators: Sami