DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor120 - really slow connection to Apple Software Update

• njharris
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2010 10:09 #1 by njharris
Hi,

I haven't been able to get a decent connection to Apple's Software Update service since purchasing and installing my Vigor120. Set up as follows;

ADSL > Vigor120 (PPoA) > Apple Airport Extreme (PPoE) > clients (via Ethernet and Wifi)

The Airport Extreme has a fixed external IP supplied by my ISP, with the internal clients distributed via DHCP on 10.0.0.x style addresses.

It takes 4-6 times as long for Software Update to confirm the applications requiring update, and the actual download speed once commenced appears to be near dial-up speed (e.g. estimating 2 days to complete an iTunes point update!).

There doesn't appear to be a problem with speed/latency generally as browsing, download, streaming etc are all fine (generally we get a consistent 4-5mb downstream, 0.5 upstream).

Is there a known conflict between the Vigor120 and the Apple Software Update service? I have recently updated the 120's firmware to the latest version to address a conflict with Apple's iChat video conferencing service, so did wonder...

Any suggestions most welcome!

Nathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2010 22:29 #2 by cuthbei
Check the MTU of the connection. If the MTU is set to 1500 bytes, you'll be getting a massive amount of fragmentation, which could slow things down (although not that much I would expect). Of course, if Apple marks packets with "Don't Fragment", you could be loosing a lot of data.

Cuthbei

• njharris
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2010 11:46 #3 by njharris

cuthbei wrote: Check the MTU of the connection. If the MTU is set to 1500 bytes, you'll be getting a massive amount of fragmentation, which could slow things down (although not that much I would expect). Of course, if Apple marks packets with "Don't Fragment", you could be loosing a lot of data.

Cuthbei

Thanks Cuthbei

My understanding is that none of Apple's base stations modify the MTU of packets passing through. Certainly there is no apparent control to change the MTU in the Airport Utility GUI.

Also - wouldn't an issue of this type affect all network traffic?

More
30 Nov 2010 12:05 #4 by cuthbei
You are right, you are likely to see an impact on a lot of different network traffic.

Does Airport have the ability to dump traffic arriving on the interface? At least you could then see the fragmentation etc

• njharris
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2010 12:09 #5 by njharris

cuthbei wrote: You are right, you are likely to see an impact on a lot of different network traffic.

Does Airport have the ability to dump traffic arriving on the interface? At least you could then see the fragmentation etc

I don't think so. It's the strangest thing, as if just this specific service is being throttled somehow. I don't have any issue with FTP, WebDAV, or various other protocols (including web, email traffic, etc).

Moderators: ChrisSami