DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Virgin Media 50mb & Dreytek Vigor 2820 settings

• scoobied77
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2010 22:43 #1 by scoobied77
Hi there,

I've recently got back my router that I my parents have been borrowing using adsl. Now it's back in my hands I would like to use it with my Virgin Media 50mb. I've tried to set it up but with no success.

If anyone else is using the same set up can I would really appreciate if you could give me some pointers on how to get it running as I thought this router is meant to support cable as well.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2010 23:23 #2 by voodle
It's a standard cable connection, so you'd set it up under WAN - General Setup - first of all make sure that WAN2's physical mode is set to Ethernet.
Then go to the WAN - Internet Access - WAN2 page and on there select Static or Dynamic IP, enable that and set it to Obtain IP Address Automatically then click OK on there.

This should work with both the modem that VM would've supplied or the lower netgear router/modem they're now supplying.
With the modem though, that will lock itself to the first device it detects - you'll need to unplug the power from that for 30 seconds then turn it back on while its connected up to the router. Then if you watch the router's Online Status page it should get an IP Address and access the internet :)

• scoobied77
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2010 16:59 #3 by scoobied77
Replied by scoobied77 on topic Virgin Media 50mb & Dreytek Vigor 2820 settings
Hi there,

That did the trick! Worked first time so thanks for the tip.

Another problem I have is trying to get my Filezilla ftp server to work with the Draytek which does not seem to be working. It was working fine with the virgin media supplied netgear router.

I've tried to open ports 20-21 but still no luck.

If anyone can give me some help on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

:D

More
29 Nov 2010 20:49 #4 by voodle
Check that the router isn't reserving port 21 for itself, which it often will, thats under System maintenance then Management, the FTP management port will need to be changed from 21 to something else.
Also, if you're setting up the server for passive FTP, just leave the external IP address set to auto rather than specifying it, turns out the router handles all that.

• scoobied77
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2010 21:59 #5 by scoobied77
Replied by scoobied77 on topic Virgin Media 50mb & Dreytek Vigor 2820 settings
All working fine now. Your correct I had to change the port to something else.

Have to say my broadband using the Draytek seems far snappier than the supplied Netgear router from Virgin.

Moderators: ChrisSami