DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting Up Vigor 2820n with New Sky D-Link 2640S Router

• bigmark16
  • Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2010 17:03 #65342 by bigmark16
If any of you out there are moving to Sky and have a Draytek Vigor 2820n router please see below where I explain how I have just completed setting up the Sky D-Link 2640S router to connect to the WAN2 port on the Draytek.

This presumes that you are using the default LAN settings on the Draytek which are 192.168.0.1, if you are using 192.168.1.1 use a different address in the Sky Router ie 192.168.3.1.
Firstly connect the Sky D-Link Router to a stand alone PC using the ethernet cable provided by Sky. Go to http://192.168.0.1 in a web browser and access the Sky Routers User Interface, the UserName is admin and the password is sky.

As the Sky router is Wireless G, and the Draytek is Wireless N disable the Wireless LAN in the SETUP page of the Sky Router and click apply.

Clicking on the ADVANCED tab enters a page where the ip address and DHCP settings can be edited. Change the IP address of the Sky Router to 192.168.1.1, and enable DHCP for a single address of 192.168.1.2 (enter this value into both boxes of the DHCP). Apply these settings and the Sky Router will reboot.

Disconnect the Sky Router from the standalone PC, and connect the ethernet cable coming from the Sky Router into the WAN2 port of the Draytek 2820n.

On a PC or Mac connected to the Draytek router, enter the user interface through a web browser (http://192.268.0.1 is the default setting). Select the WAN menu on the left hand side of the interface.

In the General Setup page disable WAN1 (unless you have 2 broadband lines coming into your premises), and enable WAN2. Click OK and select the Internet Access Page under the WAN menu. Click on WAN2 in the list and select the Static or Dynamic IP tab.

In the section titled Specify an IP address on the right hand side, enter 192.168.1.2 as an IP Address, and 255.255.0.0 as a Subnet. Enter 192.168.1.1 in the Gateway address and click OK.

Allow the Draytek to reboot and check the online Status after it has rebooted. You will find you are connected to the internet via WAN2 and all of your LAN routing and wireless is being handled by the Draytek Router.

I hope this has been some help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2010 11:32 #65349 by gorstj
Will this not given you problems as you are going through two NAT firewalls.

Perhaps a bettwe way of doing it would be setting the Draytek IP address as a DMZ so that it receives all incoming connections so you can do port forarding on the Draytek. However you will still be going through two NAT's.

I am going to be using a Netgear DM111P modem with a draytek router in the near future on sky to avoid going through two NAT's.

(hopefully the Draytek 2830 once it is released)

More
22 Dec 2010 11:46 #65351 by rpg
I use Draytek 2820 as main router (ADSL on WAN1) and Draytek 2800 connected to WAN2 (with another ADSL) in exactly this setup with no problems at all.

Just to be clear though you have a few typo's!

Bigmark16 wrote: On a PC or Mac connected to the Draytek router, enter the user interface through a web browser (http://192.168.0.1 is the default setting). Select the WAN menu on the left hand side of the interface..

and

Bigmark16 wrote: In the section titled Specify an IP address on the right hand side, enter 192.168.1.2 as an IP Address, and 255.255.255.0 as a Subnet. Enter 192.168.1.1 in the Gateway address and click OK.

I've not had any NAT issues either....

Richard

• bigmark16
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2010 12:05 #65353 by bigmark16
Thanks for pointing out my typo's. It is much appreciated.

I don't appear to be having any issues with NAT, I have port-forwarding setup on my Draytek and this is still working.

Ideally I was hoping to find a solution that avoided using the Sky Router effectively as a modem, but their terms and conditions state that it should be used, so I was in a catch 22.

The D-Link Router is really basic and does not have many of the features that I use on the Draytek, so while the solution may not be perfect it is working for me.

More
22 Dec 2010 14:50 #65359 by gorstj
I am surprised the double NAT hasn't caused a problem.

I am really surprised that port forwarding works by configuring it on the Draytek unless you configure it also on the Sky router to forward all ports to the Draytek (i.e. DMZ)

More
22 Dec 2010 15:55 #65361 by voodle
I'm using a similar setup with an equally bad Netgear cable modem / router and a 2820's WAN2 connection - it works and using DMZ I can even get VPN connections to go through, still proving to be very unreliable though, I think the Netgear doesn't like a single IP getting all the traffic.

With Sky routers though, I prefer to get the username / password for the ADSL connection and use it with WAN1, I've heard that's much more difficult with the Dlink router they're now giving out and you have to set the MAC address for the WAN connection to match their supplied router, I have no idea why they're so keen on locking their service down to those routers.

Moderators: Sami