DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820Vn Firmware 3.3.5 and 3.3.5.1

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
23 Dec 2010 09:44 #65377 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic Vigor 2820Vn Firmware 3.3.5 and 3.3.5.1
This is the comments from my "flakey firmware" comments to Draytek HQ.

"Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback; we agree that
stability is important on the products and we are working to improve
QC and additional flow procedures; your comments will also be
discussed. On the question of UK/TW firmware, the UK engineers
conduct additional local testing and make feedback before they
release firmware locally, sometimes waiting for amendments.
You are welcome to use either source though and please do
always make feedback/comments when you can."

Hey at least they answered :o)

I have only had acknowledgement of the VOIP issue so we wait and see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2010 09:52 #65378 by middling
Replied by middling on topic Vigor 2820Vn Firmware 3.3.5 and 3.3.5.1
Is it the built-in SIP that isn't registering or some other device?

I don't use the built-in capabilities of the 2820vn but instead am using a Yealink T28p and have seen a few problems when it comes to registering with various SIP providers.

My problem seems to occur when the Draytek has to reestablish an ADSL connection. Sometimes the Yealink wont be able to register with one, or more, providers afterwards.

Rebooting the Yealink doesn't help, but rebooting the Draytek allows the Yealink to register immediately.

I'm thinking it might be some sort of firewall bug interacting with the change of IP my ISP (Sky) forces on reconnect.

Not too big a deal as a reboot fixes the problems, and i'll be switching away from the 2820vn early in the new year; it's been nothing but trouble for almost three years now and Draytek clearly have no interest in fixing the problems.

• felicitous
  • Topic Author
More
23 Dec 2010 09:58 #65379 by felicitous
Replied by felicitous on topic VOIP
I am using the builtin VOIP as I have a physical POTS phone attached. The aim for me was to provide a second line for incoming calls I could use for business purposes.

I get a "201 Unauthorised" log message from 3.3.4 onwards but the same setup at 3.3.3 works no problems.

I am also thinking of moving on which is a real pity. My alternative was a Billion but I understand from colleagues it is not that much better so the hunt continues for a replacement unit. Be interested in what devices you have in mind.

More
23 Dec 2010 11:17 #65381 by middling
Replied by middling on topic Vigor 2820Vn Firmware 3.3.5 and 3.3.5.1
I had been considering the Fritzbox 7390 which has a wealth of features. I don't really need all the hardware features of the Fritzbox though and would prefer a product with an English-language community. Fritzbox doesn't seem to be well known outside of Germany.

So i've decided to move back to the tomato firmware, which is what i was using before i came to Draytek. I've ordered an ASUS RT-N16 which has awesome hardware specs for a home router. The standard firmware is apparently dire, but a quick flash to TomatoUSB will fix that.

I'll probably pair it with a Draytek Vigor 120 unless i can find another full bridge ADSL solution.

I'm expecting the ASUS to last me several years, and even if BT ever decide to provide FTTC in my area i'll be able to simply replace the Vigor 120 with BT's VDSL2 modem and the ASUS should handle things without a problem.

And the best thing about TomatoUSB is that they actually fix bugs and make improvements to the firmware. ^_^

Moderators: Sami