DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn has stopped working - just DSL light - dead?

More
23 Dec 2010 12:24 #65382 by pipes
My Vigor 2820Vn was working one minute, then stopped, and after I rebooted it all I get is a solid green on the "DSL" light on the front and that's it. It doesn't matter what else I have plugged into it (DSL line or not), even with just the power cord alone, the only thing that lights up is the solid green DSL light. No ACT start-up sequence or anything.

I've left it unplugged for a good 10 minutes, plugged it back in and turned it on, same result - DSL light comes on immediately and just stays on.

I've tried holding in the factory reset button and it makes no difference and seems to have no effect at all.

What's happened to my Vigor?! :shock:

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2010 15:27 #65383 by markah
Replied by markah on topic Mine has just died too?
In the last hour my 2820 has died too. Exactly the same thing has happened. Just a coincidence?

More
23 Dec 2010 17:27 #65385 by mordorf
We've had power cuts around here today. You've not had the same have you? Maybe a power surge?

More
23 Dec 2010 22:07 #65387 by voodle
My 2820Vn is working Great :P

Also what you're describing sounds like a corrupt config! You can check whether the router can work by turning it off, then turning it back on while holding in the factory reset button - that should make the 3 LEDs on the left flash, if it does that, you can get it working again :)
You just need to follow these instructions:
http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_reflash.html#reflash (scroll down to the abnormal firmware conditions bit)
They're rather old instructions so make sure you use the 3.6.2 version of the firmware upgrade utility from the downloads page and that any firewall software is disabled or has an exception for it - that should get your router working again, albeit with a factory defaulted config.

More
23 Dec 2010 23:04 #65388 by pipes
I already tried the factory reset - it does nothing! Even holding the reset button in, as soon as I turn the router on it just lights straight up with the DSL light and does nothing else.

I'm not sure if I had a power surge - it's possible. I did have it plugged into a surge protector strip but it was just a cheap thing.

So our Vigor's are dead? That's a couple of hundred pounds down the drain then... just what you don't want in December! :(

More
23 Dec 2010 23:09 #65389 by markah
Managed to reflash the firmware using the *.rst file - worked on the 2nd attempted and then reinstalled config from backup.

All is now working again but this surely shouldn't have happened in the first place - no powercuts around here.

:D

Moderators: Sami