DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820: f/w versions 3.3.4 and 3.3.5- gaming disconnects

• screamingpict
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2011 11:12 #65488 by screamingpict
Hi,

I have a weird issue, have had it for some time, was hoping 3.3.5 would resolve it, but it doesn't.

I have a Vigor 2820. I am only using the ETH broadband connection (not the ADSL). I am connected to Virgin's 10Mbps Cable Broadband service.

If I load f/w version 3.3.4 or newer (3.3.5) and play Word of Warcraft I will periodically (about once every 1-2 hours) get disconnected. This happens at random points (i.e. not just when the game client is sending or receiving a lot of data).

if there are other people playing WoW at the same time in my house they won't usually get disconnected at the same time as me, which points to the router dropping the specific connection rather than the whole Broadband connection.

With f/w version 3.3.3 there are no disconnects.

Has anyone else seen this?

What can I do to get some decent diagnostic data on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2011 12:49 #65496 by dannyboy1121
I'm not sure if it contained similar updates to the code - but on my 2710 I've been pinned back in to using 3.3.2 because f/w version 3.3.5 and 3.3.6 appear to have a bad impact on anything that requires protracted sessions. For me it's SIP service for anything behind the router and also the Vodafone Sure Signal unit repeatedly falls over.

Going back to an older version of code clears the problem completely.

Naturally WOW needs an ongoing session so I'm wondering if we're seeing the same thing. I think that Draytek need to investigate.

Have you tried disabling the DDOS settings on the firewall to see if that makes a difference?

Dan

• screamingpict
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2011 14:29 #65502 by screamingpict
Replied by screamingpict on topic 2820: f/w versions 3.3.4 and 3.3.5- gaming disconnects
Dan,

Interesting. I have not got DoS defence enabled, so that's not the issue.

More
06 Jan 2011 19:18 #65504 by drewy
Dan,

This could be related, I used to have a 2820vn along with a voda Sure Signal.
Although I don't play WOW I used to play a lot of BF2. I noticed that almost everytime I played BF2 the sure signal would lose its connection.
I fixed this by getting a block of 8 ip addresses from my isp so that I could assign a unique one to the sure signal. Once that was done it never happened again.

Moderators: ChrisSami