DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using dual WAN, but can't access some websites?

• matt kirby
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2011 18:30 #65522 by matt kirby
I haven't fully tested all possible scenarios so it's possible that the conclusions I'm about to write might be wrong!

I have 2 clients, both with the same setups.

Draytek 2820, currently on 3.3.3 firmware (was on 3.3.4).
WAN1: ADSL provided by Claranet.
WAN2: Be ADSL2 connection, with the provided Be router in pass-through mode.

I'm using dual WAN primarily for redundancy, however I want all outbound traffic to go over WAN1 - except outbound traffic to 1 particular website (don't ask! ;) ). I have configured load balancing to achieve this (first rule with relevant dest. IP bound to WAN2, second rule binding TCP ports 1-34463 (the maximum) to WAN1).

This all seems to work, except....

There are some websites (yahoo.com, teamviewer.com) that just don't appear on any PC, and just timeout.

DNS resolution is working fine (I'm using OpenDNS), however tracert (from a PC) fails after the first hop - so the Draytek is dropping the packets somewhere, or not knowing where to route them. I can ping the gateways of both ISPs, but they don't show up in a tracert.

I've tried:
Trace route from the Draytek - fails as well, both selecting each WAN and when leaving it as "unspecified"
Switching off all load-balancing rules
Downgrading firmware (was on 3.3.4 -saw on this forum that 3.3.3 is generally regarded as the go-to firmware)
Checking firewall rules (nothing matches)
Asking it nicely!

The only thing that works is switching off the WAN2 connection - then the websites (and obviously associated tracert's) work fine. Obviously this isn't a solution, as it means my client isn't using the backup WAN they are paying for. So, all websites work over WAN1 on it's own, but when I activate WAN2 and set load balancing to send web traffic over WAN1 most websites work, but some don't

What I haven't tried yet:
Reflashing the firmware with the .rst file, and reconfiguring (all updates done on these routers have been done keeping the existing config).

Has anyone seen anything remotely similar? This one has me stumped, as most things work but some websites don't. And I'm having this at 2 different clients, although both do have very similar setups (with 2 WANs and the same ISPs).

Any thoughts, suggestions welcome.

I'm not going to be back on site for this client for a while, so I won't be trying the "nuke firmware and reconfigure" just yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2011 12:37 #65557 by rpg
Is the BE router (internal) on the same IP range as the Draytek as that can cause routing issues.

• matt kirby
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2011 16:11 #65566 by matt kirby
Replied by matt kirby on topic Using dual WAN, but can't access some websites?
No, the internal LAN and Draytek are on a different subnet from the LAN side of the Be router

Moderators: ChrisSami