DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection

• wilkins999
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jan 2011 21:02 #65855 by wilkins999
Hello, I come to this forum more in Desperation than expectation! I have a Vigor 2110VN Router, flashed to the latest firmware. Everything within the Router appears to work, but I am unable to get a connection via PPPoE.

I am connecting to a BT supplied HueWai (or something!!) VDSL Modem; it has Power, DSL and WAN lights on, which tells me it's on (!!), has synched to the exchange (or at least, the box about 200 Yds down my road), and has a connection via the CAT5E WAN cable to the Vigor.

The Vigor is awake, lets me key in the User Name and password settings on the PPPoE screen (most other parameters default), but no PPPOE connection is established.

My new service provider - UK ZEN internet are scratching their heads! In the brief time that the BT engineer was here, he told me that if I had the full compliment of lights on the lights on the VDSL box (as I do), his work was done.

Any ideas? I think the account details are correct, as I am using the same USerID and Password RIGHT NOW via Zen's fall-back dial-up Internet connection (slowwwwwwww of course :( ) I have even tried a BT test user ID, but still no joy. :(

This is a FTTC (Fibre to The Cabinet) connection, and supposedly is good for over 32 Mbits, said BT engineer. Except that, right now, I am getting 0 Mbits.

My money is on a problem outside my own four walls, unless anyone here thinks differently....

Worst bit is my kids are driving me UP THE WALL. "Dad! SpaceBook's broken!" Gimme a break.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2011 00:49 #65859 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
Check on the PPPoE settings page, try leaving the ISP name blank, that may be the same as the Service Name for the PPPoE connection, which could in this case stop that modem from being detected in the same way that it would work if you used a service name with the 120 modem.

• wilkins999
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2011 11:01 #65899 by wilkins999
Replied by wilkins999 on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
Thanks, Voodle, i will certainly try that, tonight.

Otherwise, i think i am at the point of buying an alternative router/PPPoe box - NetGear WRN2000 (the one Zen recomend), if only to prove that my current router is, or is not, at fault!

More
28 Jan 2011 10:52 #65942 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
It's probably not a router problem, I'm using a 2130n on FTTC and have no problems. A way to test this is to temporarily connect your PC directly to the VDSL+ modem and set-up a PPPoE connection using the OS, make sure you have a software firewall in place...

My bet would be that Zen or BT haven't set-up the correct path from you back to Zen, but testing with the PC should help determine this.

• wilkins999
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2011 12:39 #65955 by wilkins999
Replied by wilkins999 on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
NoDice and others, thanks for your replies.

In order to elimenate the Draytek Vigor 2110VN from the arguement or any suspicion, I went and purchased the (recomended) Netgeat router anyway, and set that up.

Guess what? STILL no PPPoE connection! (Which kinda gets Draytek off the hook!). But at least it served to prove that the problem is outside my installation.

I have now got a "fault ticket" raised with BT (wish me luck), and we shall see what transpires.

Voodle, i tried your idea of leaving the ISP name blank, still no change, biut thanks for the suggestion.

However, NoDice, I am intrigued by your suggestion on plugging a PC DIRECTLY into the VDSL modem, and doing the PPPoE authentication, there. I did not know that this was possible - any pointers?

And does anybody want a (hardly used) WNR2000? :)

Laurence

More
28 Jan 2011 12:46 #65956 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
What OS have are you using?

MS link for Vista :oops: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-a-PPPoE-connection-to-the-Internet

Remember (if it works) you are directly on the wild Internet so take precautions...

If it doesn't you should be able to pick-up more information about why, probably from your event log.

Moderators: ChrisSami