DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection

• wilkins999
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2011 13:48 #65959 by wilkins999
Replied by wilkins999 on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
KnowDice (corret spelling, this time :)) Well, I never knew that! I am on Windows7 (assorted variants), and will try setting up a direct PPPoE connection from there direct into the VDSL modem, this evening.

I am perhaps slightly dissapointed that no one at Zen Internet suggested that course of action, if only to rule out any Router as beyond suspicion.

I have proably switched the PC's own firewall off, as it is normally behind a router firewall, so will make sure that is back on before connecting. Also, Full-strenght Norton is already in place, but that isn't in its own right a firewall, of course (I don't think, anyway).

Regards

Laurence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2011 14:28 #65960 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
Also, what were the logs for the Vigor showing for PPP?

• wilkins999
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2011 18:07 #66007 by wilkins999
Replied by wilkins999 on topic Vig 2110Vn can't establish PPPoE connection
Just thought I would "Close the call" and let you all know that I now have a Fibre Broadband connection at a cool 35Mbits The problem was all along outside of my own property - as I had expected, but you have to go through due Process with BT to prove it.

Took me EIGHT DAYS to get a (new) BT engineer back, who takes one look at his magic meter and says "Well, that's not righ.t" BT Engineer retires to cabinet at the end of my street (where the Fibre from the exchange connects to copper wire for the last couple of hundred meteres to my house), uplugs this, plugs in that, and Voila.

Now, why did the first BT engineer not do it right? Dunno. I get the distinct impression this is all new to them.

Also, I am going to have to give 1/5 to ZEN Internt, I am afraid. All perfectly charming on the phone, but I have had to push, push, push every step of the way to get an engineer back on site for him to tell me what I had been telling ZEN all week! Eight days with no connection. Not over impressed.

It also turns out this is all new to ZEN, they don't really know what to look for yet (I shall be educating them later :( ) and don't have the sort of diagnostic tools yet to figure things out from their end.

Next time (GOD FORBID), i shall simply not let the first BT engineer leave site until he has shown me a web page.

Oh - and the Vigor 2110VN is working just fine, btw

Moderators: ChrisSami