DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2920 f/w 3.3.6 XBox Live Party Chat issue

• desc
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jan 2011 23:02 #65857 by desc
RESOLVED. Please see my last reply :oops: :roll:

Righty, I've spent a good 40+ hours trying to diagnose the problem and I am now well and truly stumped. I want to make it clear that this problem did not occur with the 3.3.1 firmware AND does not present if the XBox is plugged directly into either WAN connection. The problem only manifests once the XBox's traffic is being routed through the Vigor.

The problem I am experiencing is that XBox Live Party Chat sessions disconnect randomly. The disconnect can occur within 30 seconds of party starting or up to 10mins later.

My connection details:

• 50mb VirginMedia (WAN1)
    uptp 24mb O2 ADSL (WAN2)
    Draytek Vigor 2920 Dual WAN router running the latest (3.3.6) firmware.
    XBox360 on a static IP of 192.168.76.14

It makes no difference which WAN connection I am using. So for the sake of this discussion please assume that I have configured the Vigor Load-Balance Policy so that any and all XBox traffic should be on WAN1. This rule is rule 1 in the Load-Balancy Policy list.
rule: any | WAN1 | 192.168.76.14 | 192.168.76.14

I am 100% certain that the appropriate inbound public ports are open on the router. Following your support document on the order of port-forwarding precedence. And an MSDN Article on XBoxLive 360 Ports lists that ports: 88(UDP), 1863(TCP+UDP) and 3074(TCP+UDP) need to be opened.
* 53(TCP+UDP) and 80(TCP) are outbound (DNS and HTTP)

Port Redirection can only manage Moderate NAT according to Microsoft's NAT test. n.b. I cannot find anyway to determine which port(s) are causing the problem.
Open Ports the XBox achieves Open NAT and I move on to the Party Chat problem.
DMZ the XBox reports Open NAT and I once again have the Party Chat problem.
uPNP gives Open NAT and an intermittent Party Chat problem. Sometimes the problem doesn't manifest, sometimes it does :/

Things I have tried:

• Numerous firmware reinstalls including loading from different browsers and different machines. Each time using a fresh download of the firmware zip file.
    I have removed all Firewall Filter rules other than the defaults but this has made no difference.
    I have disabled all DDOS protection but this has made no difference.
    From Telnet I have used portmaptime -u 1800 to up the NAT tear down timeout on UDP, with no difference.

I am sharing a copy of my current config (via Dropbox) if you'd like to check it out. (User/pass admin/admin)

I hope that someone will spot what I've done wrong or acknowledge that there is an issue. I will be attempting to downgrade to 3.3.1 tomorrow in the hope that I can resume normal network usage.

Thanks for reading.

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• desc
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jan 2011 09:51 #65862 by desc
Replied by desc on topic Syslogs
I forgot to post this last night :oops:

I've been using the Syslog tool for windows to capture and parse any syslog messages coming out of the router. The AccessDB of my logs can be found here. (via Dropbox ).

There are two reoccurring entries that I think are related to my problem but I don't know how to resolve them.

1. Every time the XBox connects to the LAN an "[ARP][Arp address mismatch - Ethernet destination address doesn#t match ARP target adress]" message is logged.

2. There are hundreds of "Local User: -> 192.168.76.14 (ICMP) Destination Unreachable" entries.

I suspect my problem is more likely to do with the ExternalIP being unable to ping the XBox but I cannot see anyway to resolve this.

• The Disable PING from the Internet option is disabled.

• There is no obvious way to forward ICMP traffic to the XBox

• I have tried a Firewall filter allowing the traffic to pass.

• I have tried setting the XBox as WAN1's TrueIP DMZ

Once again, any help and/or advice would be really appreciated.

• desc
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jan 2011 16:43 #65878 by desc
After spending even more time today looking into this, I think I've been sent on a wild goose chase by my own fair hands :oops:

I have just retested for my XBox Live Party Chat issues with my secondary WAN connection disabled and sure enough, the issue is gone.

Further investigation has revealed that the people I have been attempting to initiate Party Chats with are actually on the same Class B subnet as me/my ISP for my secondary WAN.

I have resolved the issue by setting the subnet on my WAN2 connection from 255.255.248.0 to 255.255.255.0.

Moderators: ChrisSami