Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

vigor120 ethernet modem set up problems

• dreamcat
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2011 08:27 #65989 by dreamcat
vigor120 ethernet modem set up problems was created by dreamcat
Hi
I've just got a new draytek vigor 120 ethernet, ADSL2/ADSL2+ modem. The I.S.P i use uses pppoA. This modem is supposed to get a connection no problem. I've got a router separately(new as well) but i thought i would configure the modem first as i couldn't get a connection with both devices together(The WAN I.P of the router was listed as the modem's internal I.P(but that's normal right?) and there may be no place to enter my I.S.P log in information in the router's config(or should this prompt come up on the router after the modem has a WAN I.P)???....so i thought i'd look at the modem 1st...using my macbook to configure it). That's when i noticed that the Internet light on this modem was off!. I'm absolutely sure that all the correct wires were plugged in etc. So i decided to look at the web configurator. It asked me for a username and password and there was one already set. So i tried to reset the device using a pin and holding the pin in for 10(that failed) then 20(that also failed) seconds.
I'm at my wits end. I really don't want to buy a new modem because i haven't the time and it's rare that a modem is just a modem(like the vigor 120 is).
Do i need to find a way of entering my Internet account login information before the modem will get a WAN I.P etc?. What is wrong here?.I can't find anywhere in the router's config where you enter the I.S.P account information..so i thought that maybe the modem needed to get an I.P first before i'm prompted to enter the account information. How do i log in to the modem's config page?.(the guys that sent it in the post didn't think to send the password) but that shouldn't matter because it has a reset button!. Any advice or help would be great. I couldn't find anything using google except faqs that said the username and password are blank by default. How come i can't log in to the config after resetting the device?
Btw the router is a:Buffalo Technology Nfiniti Wireless-N High Power Router & Access Point WZR-HP-G300NH. Are there any incompatibility issues?. I sincerely doubt it!.Thank you for taking the time to read this and any replies that i may get
regards dreamcat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2011 11:23 #65991 by louisjwallan
Replied by louisjwallan on topic Vigor120 ethernet modem set up problems
Cat

The fifth indicator light, marked 'Internet', is redundant on the Vigor 120, although I think it may have had a duty in previous models in the series.
The modem does not need any particular configuring apart from when using ISPs such as 'Be There' or 'O2'; but be sure to update to the latest approved firmware from the UK site once it is functioning.
Like so many others I use the Vigor 120 with an Apple Airport Extreme and this combination has been a rock steady long term solution to my needs. I am not familiar with the Buffalo equipment, but can recommend a visit to the Draytek UK http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html/url] for much straightforward advice.
Best of luck; I hope it comes good for you.

Regards, LA
PS I think I have cocked up the link - hopefully you will still be able to follow it!

• dreamcat
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2011 13:12 #65992 by dreamcat
Replied by dreamcat on topic vigor120 ethernet modem set up problems
ust ignore the previous post. I was using an inappropriate browser to talk to the modems config and it caused an authentication problem(not being able to login to the modems config pages). With firefox i can configure the modem. So the modem uses pppoA to talk to the WAN and the router uses pppoE to talk to the modem. Ignore any negativity toward the draytek product or the router. They are actually really great.

Moderators: ChrisSami