DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2910, 3G Dongle and Dynamic DNS Hosting

• procalx
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2011 13:43 #65993 by procalx
I have a webserver which is running on a boat, it is connected to the Draytek 2910 wireless router (which also supports 3G connectivity - mobile broadband). I have a compatible E220 (I think) dongle with a UK Orange 3G dongle sim card (pay monthly).

The draytek is providing an internet connection to the web server succesfully via the 3G dongle, however I cannot connect to the webserver as the 3G dongle utilises a dyanmic DNS and the IP address is changing every few seconds.

To solve this I have purchased a Dynamic DNS hosting service as to configure the router to update the DynDNS service so I can access the web server via an address (for example: http://mysite.thruhere.net).

However this is not working, despite configuration according to the FAQ/Support section & Manuals. If I telnet and test the routers DNS connection it does not resolve.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2011 15:51 #65996 by nealuk
The 3G service has additional firewall/NAT, to stop you doing anything like this.

I think you'll need a non-restricted 3G service, such as Wireless Logic to provide a 3G connection via Vodafone with a real fixed IP, nothing blocked etc.

Also, Nucleus Networks have short term offerings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami