DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

[SOLVED] Sudden connectivity problems, high RX CRC errors

• fabwhack
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2011 19:38 #66009 by fabwhack
After a couple of years of (nearly) flawless service with my 2820Vn on a Demon ADSL2 circuit, I've had horrendous trouble today with packet loss - dropping at least 60% of packets. Speedtest.net reports my download speed is a massive 0.01Mb/s downstream (normally around 6-8Mb/s); however, my upload speed is unaffected.

Looking at the "online status" page on the router, I'm seeing several thousand RX CRC errs ticking up by the minute - no TX CRC errors reported. Demon say they've tested my line and can't find anything wrong, and suggest the router itself may be faulty.

I've updated the firmware from 3.3.3.something to 3.3.5.1_232201 with no effect (going back to factory defaults along the way). I've also tried the router on a different ADSL circuit (I have two in the same house, don't ask :wink: ) and I'm getting the same behaviour.

Does this really sound like a broken router, or is it more likely there's something up at my local exchange, or Demon themselves?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 22:01 #66011 by voodle
If you're using the 3.3.5.1 firmware on the router, I recommend trying the 211801 modem code or another one such as 2471201 and see if that helps - if you're getting CRC errors like that then it's normally the modem code that's causing them, just a compatibility problem with the local exchange hardware.

• fabwhack
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2011 15:53 #66066 by fabwhack
Couldn't get online yesterday to post a follow up :) I managed to borrow another ADSL router for a couple of hours to prove it wasn't a DrayTek-specific problem. The service suddenly "fixed itself" yesterday afternoon. I haven't had the official "all clear" from Demon yet, but the fact that I didn't do anything more or less proves that the fault was at the exchange.

On a side-note, whatever's happened to Demon's support team recently is a welcome change. The last time I called (maybe 6 months ago), it was the usual offshored try-resetting-your-router support. However, this time I got through to several different London-sounding engineers, all of whom really sounded like they knew what they were talking about. A welcome change!

More
06 Feb 2011 09:04 #66111 by mfc
Hi, I have been having a similar problem for some weeks now, with very odd symptoms: the router appears to be set up correctly, and I normally get a good connection speed (4Mb/s download) and ping times, etc., given my distance from the exchange.

However, once a day (usually between 09:00 and 11:00) there are intermittent problems, lots of RX CRC errors (but no TX CRC errors), and the internet becomes unusable although some packets get through. If I then reboot the router, everything goes back to normal (after a slower-than-usual start up) and then remains fine for the rest of the day, although RX CRC errors tick up slowly (about 30/second -- I am not sure what is normal).

Any ideas? I have tried an automatic boot (at 6 am) but that made no difference).

Mike

More
07 Feb 2011 08:15 #66120 by mfc
More information ...

Upgraded firmware to 3.3.5.1 -- no change

Happened to be looking at the status page when it failed this morning: the SNR number was 9, and almost no RX CRC errors (< 1/minute). Then suddenly ping stopped working and the SNR number dropped to 4. A few intermittent pings got through.

Rebooted, and the SNR figure went back to 9 and now (a few minutes later) up to 11.

Why does rebooting affect the SNR number?

Thanks -- Mike

Moderators: ChrisSami