DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor AP 700 - Problems with using a second SSID

• feenster
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2011 13:09 #66299 by feenster
Hey, I have a need to use the Main SSID as a fully working network but i need a "Guest" Network in which people can connect to using a WPA2 pass-phrase but be completely separated from the Main SSID.

The "Isolate Member" check box should restrict the networks communicating but when using DHCP settings for the AP the Devices on the Second SSID will not acquire an IP Address. The Main network gets the DHCP requests handled by a Win 2k8 Server so DHCP on the AP is only needed for the Second SSID. Is there a way to configure the SSID Independently?

The Web Interface does not seem to allow for much configuration regarding the separation of the SSIDs.

When i create a second SSID is it actually a VLan? Does it use a different Network? Does the Vlan ID make any difference?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2011 13:52 #66304 by voodle
What router is it set up with? The AP700 doesn't do VLANning by itself but if you've got a switch that supports VLAN tags or better still a router that does like the 3300, then you can set up a separate VLAN on your network (ideally with a DHCP server) then set the tag for the second SSID to match that and set up the port that the AP700 is connected to as a trunk port.
If you leave SSID2 set as untagged then it'll be on the same VLAN as SSID1.

If you've got a 2820 then you'd need to have a VLAN tag capable switch as well, effectively convert the 2820's port based VLAN in to the AP700's tag based VLAN using the switch and connect it up that way.

• feenster
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2011 13:57 #66306 by feenster
Brilliant! I don't need to use the VLan stuff but i figured it was something that might help. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens next. I think i messed with the VLan tag which by your description would mean it would not process DHCP requests like SSID1. Anyway testing time Thanks Dude.

• feenster
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2011 14:25 #66308 by feenster
Replied by feenster on topic Thanks dude
When the Vlan Tag is set to 0 it worked. My fault for meddling in settings i do not know lol. Anyway DHCP hands out to both SSID first and second.

I have on last question though, how do i check that they cannot communicate with each other? i assume that if user 1 connects to SSID 1 and will get the ip xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and the second user connects to SSID 2 will get the ip xxx.xxx.xxx.2 so they will be on the same network. How is the communication prevented using the Isolate Member check box.

Moderators: ChrisSami