DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New User Vigor 2710VDn

• totalsolutions
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2011 23:43 #1 by totalsolutions
New User Vigor 2710VDn was created by totalsolutions
Hi, I have a new Dray Tek 2710VDn ADSL router for home use, some of us do buy them! I thought I was doing the right thing getting a Dray tek and now have some issues and questions. I am a little out of my depth (a lot) and seems to me I have a lot to learn. I have used a Green Frog / Linksys / D-Link / HomeHub 1 and 2 (OK it was free and worked for a while) while the others were put aside or given to friends to replace their cheapo routers, and one friend brought the Draytek 2710n just for proper connectivity on my advice, he had never heard of Draytek as I do IT support for family and friends now.

My concerns are the 3.3.6 firmware supplied out of the box that did not work. SEG suggested downloading the BETA 3.3.6. I paid good money for this unit from my own funds and not company supplied. Should I be testing this firmware and for how long. The System Status even says Vigor2720Vn - wheres the D bit?? Is it flakey, that the features I paid for are just not working.

Next connecting 3 hand sets to try the DECT option and discard the home phone base station, bad idea. I failed to connect the Panasonic cordless phones (GAP). Once pared then what ?? Played with the VOIP menu and set up the Phone Settings and Dial plan pages, the phone did have a dial tone and would "dial out" and fail or inbound calls would not ring, spent many hours looking for advice in Australia (Forums there very active) of all places and then here.

The manuals are hopeless and the Quick Start Guide does not mention the Vigor 2710VDn model.

It still locks up now and then and the Primary DNS defaults to 8.8.8.8 Why? Reboot "fixes"it but it should not be happening, How do I setup Firewalls, Applications, VPN Remote Access, VOIP??

Dare I connect a printer to the USB ports? Or investigate the VOIP features, but how what do I need to do?

Its paid for on a Barclaycard and I feel I need to return as this is failing me in so many ways as all I need now is the "n" function and not fit for purpose to my needs.

I can read manuals and play with the unit til my hearts content but this stuff is too difficult to fathom out at home and not working in an IT administration work enviroment it's tough...

HELP PLEASE

Ohh Please tell me its IPv6 compatible or it WILL go back real soon this years new model innit? Bad enough not having gigabit LAN ports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami