DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Unable to access Windows NLB Cluster through Vigor 2820

More
09 Mar 2011 15:13 #66720 by abbas
Hi,

I have installed a Vigor 2820vn which works very well for my broadband and wireless connections. I use Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange Server 2010.

I have recently set up a Windows Network Load balancing (NLB) cluster to use for my Exchange Client Access (CAS) and Remote Desktop (RDP). All work very well internally - within the LAN. However, when I try to connect from the outside (WAN), I cannot connect to the NLB node; but can to the cluster member servers. All NAT entries are set-up correctly.

I have read a number of articles about this kind of issue; they refer to static ARP entry. The closest thing I could find on the Vigor 2820vn was the "Bind IP to MAC" option which is part of the DHCP section. I used this to add the cluster IP/MAC pair to the ARP list; it now has an "s" in front of it in the ARP Cash Table List, which i guess indicates an static ARP. Still no joy! pinging the NLB cluster fails.

I tried and tested the following combinations:

Set up a single node NLB Cluster, for simplicity.

NLB Cluster (Multicast):
- Dynamic & Static ARP (Bind IP to MAC): Pinging the NLB cluster worked; pinging the member node worked; connection to the cluster within the LAN worked; connection to the cluster from the WAN failed.

NLB Cluster (Unicast):
- Dynamic & Static ARP (Bind IP to MAC): Pinging the NLB cluster failed; pinging the member node worked; connection to the cluster within the LAN worked; connection to the cluster from the WAN failed.

Any ideas? greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 12:34 #69979 by kbates@wn1-it.com
Replied by kbates@wn1-it.com on topic Re: Unable to access Windows NLB Cluster through Vigor 2820
I have the same problem and if you telnet to the router and issue a

ip arp add IPADDRESS MACADDRESS LAN

everything works until the arp table is refreshed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami