Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firewall Questions

• mikejelfs
  • Topic Author
More
17 Mar 2011 12:28 #1 by mikejelfs
Firewall Questions was created by mikejelfs
Hi

I've been using the vigor 2930Vn for a few weeks now and all seemd ok.........untill one day i noticed the mngt port light up solid green, indicating a telnet session was taking place to the vigors mngt console.

After investigation, it turns out that ports 23 and 21 (telnet and ftp) are open. I have the default firewall rule in place and these ports are not open via nat. SO should be closed?? a quick port scan shows there are open, and i can also connect WAN or LAN to via these protocols. the Lan side is not a big issue but the WAN side is....

To counter the situatuion i had to open the ports via nat and then create a firewall rule to block them. as i have multiple WAN ips i had to create a rule for each WAN IP or the telnet would still work if an ip was used that was not blocked via the filter.

by default, if the ports seem to stay open. if i just have a firewall rule it seems to get ignored. for the ports to be blocked i appear to need them open via nat and then blocked via a filter??
Surely they should be blocked unless i open them?? (the routers managment is turned off with all protocols unticked)

appreciate anyones thoughts on this?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami