Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Advanced Bandwidth Management Issue

• hybrid3y3
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2011 15:54 #1 by hybrid3y3
Advanced Bandwidth Management Issue was created by hybrid3y3
Hi All,

I have an issue with a DrayTek 3200, firmware 3.3.6.1, we have it connected to 2 Be* internet lines and so far the load balancing is working like a charm, working a little too well. As the mail server is now leaping with joy and swamping both the lines with mail, now i know i can set a custom load balancing policy to send mail to just one line, but our preferred (read management enforced) option is to load balance the mail accross both lines.

So, onto the issue.

I have defind mail (SMTP) as class 1, no definition made (as non required) for class 2 and class 3 and i have configured for WAN1 and WAN2 the following:

(Tick) Enable the QoS Control (OUT)

WAN Outbound Bandwidth (1500)Kbps

Class 1 (75)%
Class 2 (1)%
Class 3 (1)%
Others (23)%

The problem is as follows, when monitoring traffic (Status: Online Statistics) I can see that the only traffic being picked up is "Others". Class 1 is defined as SMTP using the Service Type: SMTP(TCP:25). I have a horrible, horrible suspicion that Service identification is being done based on source port rather than layer-4 inspection or even on destination port. Hence why the QoS is not picking up the traffic, and not applying the shaping rules.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicians? Or offer an alternate setup method to achieve outbound traffic shaping for SMTP traffic?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami