DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Lost WAN2 (and probably WAN1) on 2820n

• rebel154
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2011 15:13 #66989 by rebel154
Lost WAN2 (and probably WAN1) on 2820n was created by rebel154
I have a FTTC broadband supply which comes in via a locked down bridge and into the WAN2 socket on my 2820n. Up until this morning all was well. Then the ISP (Ripwire Ltd) went down after the fibre cables were cut near Sheffield. Anyway, the system is now back up but I can longer get a connection via WAN2 on the 2820n. I can plug the bridge box direct to my PC and have Internet access but via the 2820n is not possible. I tried the Ping pages on the Diagnosis pages but it tells me that both WAN1 and WAN2 are offline.

I have rebooted (many times), factory reset (twice), flashed different firmwares (3.3.5.1 down to 3.3.2.1 and back again) all to no avail. I did have a connection to the Ripwire network earlier this morning whilst it was down (the WAN2 port had a connection and IP address) but I could go no further than that - I could ping the default gateway but not the DNS. Now I appear to have no WANs on my 2820.

Is the 2820n dead or can it be recovered? The LAN side of things works OK.

BTW, I find it rather coincidental that the 2820n should fail at the same time as Ripwire comes back online.

Nothing to see here - move along now!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2011 17:57 #66990 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Lost WAN2 (and probably WAN1) on 2820n
What does telnet command "port status" say? Mine gives the following: -

Code:
> port status % port 1 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 2 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 3 : link UP , speed= 10 Mbps, duplex= HALF, FlowControl= ON % port 4 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 7 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON

(port 7 is wan2, ports 1-4 are the lan ports, in case you had not guessed)

Now I'm not on ripwire, I am on openreach FTTC, and I know ripwire does the whole auth thing differently but here is what my online status looks like (web gui): -

Code:
WAN 2 Status >> Drop PPPoE Enable Line Name Mode Up Time Yes Ethernet Plusnet FTTC PPPoE 49:26:20 IP GW IP TX Packets TX Rate(Bps) RX Packets RX Rate(Bps) xx.xxx.xxx.xx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 860079 90 908415 117

Now I guess yours will not say PPPoE. Also is there any chance that the settings in WAN >> Internet Access >> WAN2 or WAN >> General Setup have got disabled or messed up? Clutcing at straws there!

• rebel154
  • Topic Author
More
24 Apr 2011 13:39 #67439 by rebel154
Replied by rebel154 on topic Re: Lost WAN2 (and probably WAN1) on 2820n
Sorry I never replied back on this thread - I went off for a week and forgot all about it.

Anyway, it turned out that the problem was a sudden incompatibility with my ISP's (Ripwire) DHCP Server. The problem manifested itself following the repair of a fibre cable break that took their network down for several hours. Ripwire set me up with a fixed IP address and all is now well.

Thanks.

Nothing to see here - move along now!

Moderators: Sami