DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

FIBRE OPTIC and Draytek Vigor 2820

• user_ams
  • Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2011 09:53 #67023 by user_ams
FIBRE OPTIC and Draytek Vigor 2820 was created by user_ams
I am upgrading our lines to fibre optic and BT are providing a Fibre Business Hub to be installed. Has anyone had any experiences with the change from the adsl line to fibre? Was there any reconfuguration involved or was it just a matter of a few hard wires being changed?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2011 23:51 #67039 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: FIBRE OPTIC and Draytek Vigor 2820
It works well.

You have to config the router for WAN2 instead of WAN1, plug the BT openreach modem into WAN2
Under WAN/General Setup: disable WAN1, enable WAN2, set wan 2 to ethernet/auto
Under WAN/Internet Access: disable WAN1 PPPoA, enable WAN2 PPPoE, set the username & password

It may ask to reboot a couple of times.
That should do it.
You may need to tweek QoS if you have it set up.

More
09 Apr 2011 23:30 #67203 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: FIBRE OPTIC and Draytek Vigor 2820
I'm curious about the PPPoE business.

Does this mean that the box that's actually connected to the fibre is basically just an interface, a glorified Ethernet-speaking wall socket? I didn't realise that. I assumed it was some sort of router, but now that I think about it ....

Am I therefore right in thinking that you could plug a Windows (7/Vista) PC directly into it and use Windows' own PPPoE capability?

Sorry to go slightly off-topic -- I'm just trying to understand how things will work when, in 2030 or later probably, when we finally get FTTC here in the middle of nowhere (and the rest of the UK will be FTTP) and I'll be plugging in my Draytek 4840VGn++ ;-)

Moderators: ChrisSami