DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

v2830n two modems, what cables, what plugs, what dhcp server

• completerookie
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2011 09:56 #1 by completerookie
Played with networks etc for a few years now, but never had two adsl lines into one configuration, so sorry for the questions (I am a newbie to this forum)
existing setup - existingISP = Zoom x5 modem, into 24port hub with IP = 10.0.0.2 DHCP server = on, gateway=10.0.0.2

now I want to have two ISP's using a new v2830n
install new v2830n modem, and I want to use WAN1 with a new ISP (ip=10.0.0.3) and and WAN2 being the old ISP with ip= 10.0.0.2
so
newISP goes into WAN1, connects fine,IP = 10.0.0.3 DHCP server = on, gateway=10.0.0.3 - all works fine with laptop
re-wire WAN2 to use existingISP and turn the DHCP turned off ?? so that everything is forced through the v2830n dhcp server and thats where the problems start
can anyone tell me if
1) I should use a straight-through cat5 cable wan2->existing zoomX5 or should the cable be a crossover?? ( I assume it goes into the wan2 socket)
2) I assume?? I should have only one DHCP server - the v2830n one and the old zoomX5 one gets turned off
3) I've used the 'bind ip to max' feature to guarantee fixed ip's across the network, so I think I can then let each client simply find its own settings??
3) load balance the two servers to spread the throughput ?.
4) If I then connect 5ghz m5 nanostation wireless bridges to other buildings, I assume these just get plugged into the 24port hub, and the system takes care of itself

cheers
kev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami