DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Access USB storage connected to 2820n

• ignatius
  • Topic Author
More
03 Apr 2011 21:40 #67096 by ignatius
Access USB storage connected to 2820n was created by ignatius
I have a 2820n with firmware 3.3.4_232201.

FIRST PROBLEM:
I have been able to access a USB flash drive inserted into the router's USB port from Windows XP (My Computer > \\172.16.0.1\MyName, where 172.16.0.1 is set as the router's IP address and MyName is configured in the router at USB Application > USB User Management) ). However, the list of files and folders displayed in the Explorer window is incomplete. If I browse to the USB flash drive from the Draytek (USB Application > File Explorer), all the files and folders are displayed correctly. Does anyone have any idea why some of the files and folders aren't displayed from within XP?

SECOND PROBLEM:
I hoped to be able to access a USB external HD in the same way that I had accessed (partially!) the USB flash drive. However, neither USB external HD that I tried was visible, either from within the router or the Windows installation. Both external HD have a separate power supply, they are both 80GB IDE and formatted NTFS. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I just stumbled across an article which mentioned accessing FAT32 (but it didn't mention NTFS) so that *might* be the cause of the second problem that I'm facing. I'll continue researching!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2011 08:16 #67342 by dbames
Replied by dbames on topic Re: Access USB storage connected to 2820n
AFAIK it doesn't support NTFS... :-(

More
20 Apr 2011 00:15 #67364 by kingpjc
Replied by kingpjc on topic Re: Access USB storage connected to 2820n
Only supports FAT32. Its only recommended to format disc no larger then 32GB using that old hat file system

• ignatius
  • Topic Author
More
20 Apr 2011 17:18 #67387 by ignatius
Replied by ignatius on topic Re: Access USB storage connected to 2820n
Thank you both for the feedback. I'd done some more research and had come to that conclusion. I reckon I'm going to have to look for a different solution.

I'm still interested to know why only some of the contents of the flash drive are displayed. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience? The missing files/folders aren't enormous - maybe 100-200KB.

Moderators: ChrisSami