DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n DNS Proxy Issue

• stevesims
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2011 17:09 #67152 by stevesims
2830n DNS Proxy Issue was created by stevesims
Hi - I have just taken delivery of a shiny new 2830 to replace my older Vigor, I used the quick start - it was the correct IP by default, connected in fine but left the DHCP on, all expected. I disabled the LAN DHCP, as I have DHCP/WINS/DNS internaly, and thought all would be good. But the Draytec wont answer DNS queries via the DNS proxy on its LAN address. If I re-enable DHCP, and connect a client, it gives out my ISP's DNS servers instead of itself? I have not come across an ADSL router that doesn't do DNS proxy by default - and I cannot see where to enable it!! Anyone had any issues similar? If I manually set a client and use my ISP DNS servers, all works fine, set it to the routers LAN address - all stops - I have confirmed no response using nslookup and setting the timeout to 30 secs... I could set my internal DNS to forward to my ISP's DNS but I want to add a second ADSL on another provider - so it all gets really messy... It should just pickup requests from its LAN ip and forward them to whatever the active WAN connection's DNS servers are shouldn't it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2011 09:10 #67285 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: 2830n DNS Proxy Issue
Same with my Router its always uses the isp DNS and is why i have to add my servers to the host files in each client so the can see them ie. the Windows home server etc

More
14 Apr 2011 09:27 #67287 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2830n DNS Proxy Issue
Does the issue continue after command line is used to manually specify the DNS as per: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_dns.html ?

More
21 Apr 2011 16:15 #67411 by stevescot
Replied by stevescot on topic Re: 2830n DNS Proxy Issue
I had a similar problem - ended up setting in LAN-General Setup-Details-DNS Server IP address Primary to be our domain server (so that domain based queries , and queries on local machines would work)
and 8.8.8.8 as the forwarder on our DNS server (that's Google's free DNS server, and it's quite fast, and ISP independant.)

note, I think this sets the DHCP settings (so sets each client to these DNS servers rather than proxying)

if you have the router get it's ip address automatically - then it might pick up your ISP's dns servers (worked for me, and though we have a static ip - it gets that automatically)
(wan-internet access - details) select radio button: "No (Dynamic IP)"

Regards

Steve

More
26 Apr 2011 16:07 #67457 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: 2830n DNS Proxy Issue
I found the 2830 to be slower than the 2820...

Torrents used to get upto 2.7mb/s on the 2820 but on the 2830 i only get at maximum 200kb/s

Used same open ports . settings , line etc

Moderators: Sami