DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Connecting 2920n over PPPoA

More
23 Apr 2011 09:50 #67427 by mickg
Connecting 2920n over PPPoA was created by mickg
Hi all ...

Recently bought a Vigor 2920n to replace our Netgear router as we need something to keep the bandwidth hogs under control. I had a long chat with the shop I bought this from, and they assured me that it would connect directly to a UK ADSL socket. But after firing the box up, I found that there was no PPPoA support :(

As far as I can tell, I need a Vigor 120 ADSL modem to convert PPPoA to PPPoE, which will then allow me to run the 2920n. Can anybody confirm that this is the correct (or a good!) way to go?

I would have asked the shop, but they have proved to be completely clueless so far :o :D

Looked in the FAQ/Mikey's guides for an answer to this, but maybe it is so basic that it isn't worth adding even :oops:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2011 09:45 #67434 by geaves
Replied by geaves on topic Re: Connecting 2920n over PPPoA
Shot in the dark here....but the other option in there is static or dynamic ip...what I would do is to use that as most UK ISP's use dynamic ip addressing, it's just possible that might be the PPOA option, worth a try.....

More
24 Apr 2011 11:30 #67436 by mickg
Replied by mickg on topic Re: Connecting 2920n over PPPoA
Thanks for the suggestion ... will take a look at that when I get back to the office :)

More
27 Apr 2011 15:57 #67478 by jhurrell
Replied by jhurrell on topic Re: Connecting 2920n over PPPoA
The 2920 is an ethernet WAN router - so there is no ADSL modem in it and won't connect as you have found out... You were expensively mis-sold in my opinion.

To connect to a UK ADSL line, you need an ADSL modem in front of it. The Vigor 120 will do the job admirably, as will any ADSL modem/router that can be put into bridge mode - the ADSL modem does the ADSL part and you simply set the 2920 to use PPPoE with your ISP login details. If you have a Netgear DG834, that will do what you want too (search the internet for DG834 Bridge Mode).

Alternatively, you could try returning the 2920 and get a 2820/2830/2710 which are all ADSL modem/routers.

Vigor 2600
Vigor 2910

More
27 Apr 2011 19:34 #67488 by mickg
Replied by mickg on topic Re: Connecting 2920n over PPPoA
Many thanks for the information jhurrell ... much as I suspected then!

I won't be going back to that shop anytime soon :(

Moderators: Sami