DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

second broadband line on 2820

• michael walker
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2011 18:32 #68017 by michael walker
second broadband line on 2820 was created by michael walker
We have a 2820 running one DSL broadband line and attached to a Windows SBS 2003 box, the network has a total of eight PCs attached. We are considering getting a second broad band line to increase capacity and I am planning on connecting it to a router - where the various settings will be stored, e.g. username etc - and then connecting that router via an ethernet cable to the 'WAN2' socket on the Draytek. DHCP will be disabled on both routers, since the SBS 2003 box handles this. Is this the right approach, please and can anyone see any problems with this - or maybe knows of an idiot's guide on how to do it?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2011 08:51 #68020 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: second broadband line on 2820

Michael Walker wrote: ...and I am planning on connecting it to a router - where the various settings will be stored, e.g. username etc - and then connecting that router via an ethernet cable to the 'WAN2' socket on the Draytek...

Hi Michael, if you are considering an additional ADSL line I would recommend you use the Draytek Vigor 120. This would be more efficient than using another router inbetween.

Regards,

Neal

• michael walker
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2011 10:31 #68022 by michael walker
Replied by michael walker on topic Re: second broadband line on 2820
Thanks for your prompt response. TBH, the reason I said 'router' was because the ISP is going to chuck one our way as part of the package for the new line and I thought I may as well use it. However, on thinking about it - you're right!

Otherwise, do you see any problems with the approach I'm suggesting? - sorry to sound a bit of a dork, but although I'm quite experienced in general server admin, this is one of those things I haven't had to do before.

More
02 Jun 2011 11:39 #68025 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: second broadband line on 2820
A Second line does not double your bandwidth automatically, you have to configure the load balancing feature properly:
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15931#p67864

• michael walker
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2011 11:54 #68027 by michael walker
Thnaks for the tip - appreciated. In our case, our download speeds are not too bad, but our upload speeds are dreadful, so we are hoping this will go someway towards sorting that out.

• michael walker
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2011 19:25 #68301 by michael walker
Another question on this, if anyone would be so kind: I notice that Draytek produce a 120 DSL and a 120 ADSL . Would either/both be suitable for what I'm proposing (i.e. bundling another broadband connection into a 2820 router)? I cannot seem to find separate specs for these items - it looks as though the ADSL wil do what I want with minimum fuss, not so sure about the 120 DSL?

TIA

Moderators: Sami