DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830Vn very poor on long adsl line

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2011 16:50 #68034 by catzi
2830Vn very poor on long adsl line was created by catzi
:( I've upgraded from a 2820Vn to a 2830Vn. I have a long ADSL line and with the 2820 generally sync at 448/1.5-2mb, I use the modem code recommended for long lines - 211801.

On setting up the new 2830, the modem sync was all over the place with constant crc's on TX and connection drops/resyncs every couple of minutes. TX speed dropped to around 96k (usually 448k) and was still generating constant CRC errors.

Since the supplied firmware didn't have the 211801 modem code, I downloaded that from the international Draytek site and flashed it. The line was still as unstable as before. Plugged my old 2820 back in and it synced up at 448/1.7 straight away.

I emailed Draytek support and got back a reply back that I should try flashing all the different modem codes until I 'find one that suits'. I feel a bit miffed now. I expected the 2830 to be at least as good as the 2820 and don't really want to spend hours flashing random modem codes to the new router on the 'offchance' that it performs better. At the moment the 2830 is effectively unusable on my line and regardless of the modem code the 2820 has never performed this badly.

Anyone using the 2830 on a long line? Should I persevere with the 2830 or just fire it back to the supplier?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2011 10:27 #68040 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic Re: 2830Vn very poor on long adsl line
Feeling less of a moaner today so will try out the various modem codes. :)

More
06 Jun 2011 22:47 #68089 by dodger3
Replied by dodger3 on topic Re: 2830Vn very poor on long adsl line
Try fitting one of these at the BT master socket. Made a huge difference for me.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/adsl-plug-in-faceplate-filter-384038

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jun 2011 09:41 #68096 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic Re: 2830Vn very poor on long adsl line
I had one previously but BT fitted the Openreach version which is the officially sanctioned one.

I think my router problems are really line-related. I seem to be getting intermittent drops in SNR - up to 12db, which last for anything from a few minutes up to about an hour. This is VERY hard to get a resolution on from BT as the intermittent nature of the fault does not seem like something they are able to cope with. This is possibly as a result of third-party radio interference but it's getting a bit desperate now. :(

Iain

More
08 Jun 2011 16:40 #68146 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2830Vn very poor on long adsl line
I had interference problems on my line that turned out to be cracks in the overhead line insulation so when it was raining or foggy the interference got worse!

Howard

Moderators: Sami