DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Wan2 Setup

• rgisltd
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2011 11:38 #68055 by rgisltd
2820 Wan2 Setup was created by rgisltd
I have a 2820 using a Demon line. I also have a second line and modem from BT. I want to setup the WAN2 connection to make use of the BT line if Demon fails.

How should I setup the BT router on Wan2. Should it be on the same subnet as the 2820 ? Should I use the DHCP setting for the address of the Wan2 port or should I manually set it to match the BT router ip. EG BT Router is 10.10.10.1 and the Wan2 port set as 10.10.10.x, Draytek is 192.168.100.254. My SBS server provides DHCP and DNS for the internal network.

I have tried this setup already but the network users cannot see the internet when Wan1 fails. How do I set my DNS server.

If any one has a step by step guide to doing this I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2011 16:54 #68147 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic Re: 2820 Wan2 Setup
Not quite a step by step but:

The BT router and Draytek MUST be on different IP ranges.

Let the BT router act as a DHCP server as that will then offer an IP to WAN2 on the Draytek.

On the Draytek:
WAN -> Internet Access - Enable WAN2 and obtain IP automatically
WAN -> General - Enable both WANs with Auto weight Load balancing
WAN -> Load-Balnce Policy - set some rules or just set ANY Protocol on WAN1 with failover

I assume your SBS is doing DNS. You would need to set the DNS servers on that to use some public DNS servers as no point using DNS servers of ISP on WAN1 if traffic is going via WAN2 due to failover. Consider DNS servers from OpenDNS, Google or plenty of other Public DNS servers to look at !

Once you can proove it is working correctly you can then start looking at a better set of Load-Balance Policy rules. Think about outgoing emails - do you send by DNS or by smarthost. If smarthost then you will need a port 25 rule to ensure the traffic goes out on the correct WAN port. Also, is WAN2 only going to be used for failover or can you direct some traffic either by port, destination or origin across both WANs thereby spreading the load?

Hope that helps....

• rgisltd
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2011 15:11 #68175 by rgisltd
Replied by rgisltd on topic Re: 2820 Wan2 Setup
Thanks for that reply.

I have now set that up as you describe and will test failover at the weekend.

Great

Russell.

Moderators: Sami