DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dissapointed with 2830Vn

• d0bb1n
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2011 10:31 #68226 by d0bb1n
Replied by d0bb1n on topic Re: Dissapointed with 2830Vn
I thought the "Auto Reboot Time Schedule" option on the reboot page was a little odd. I can't think of practical use for it, and never seen it on any other router.
However I now understand. This morning all but one site testing out the 2830 called to report performance/connectivity issues. Other stores weren't reporting issues so once again suspicion fell to the 2830s again. We switched the sites back to their legacy router configurations and investigated the 2830s. We didn't have time to fully analyze what was happening, but the quick solution was a reboot of the router.
Once complete the connection was stable again.
Next time this happens hopefully we will have more time to investigate what is happening. But it looks like the option to schedule reboots is there for a known reason !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2011 17:35 #68232 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Dissapointed with 2830Vn
It's useful for the purpose you describe too, but I think the original reason was to allow for either ADSL lines which you might want to re-sync. periodically or to restart stale IP sessions ( which is more of an issue on PPPoE or non-ADSL models perhaps, so not as common in the UK)

Forum Administrator

More
01 Aug 2011 09:15 #68828 by craigski
Replied by craigski on topic Re: Dissapointed with 2830Vn

D0bb1n wrote: More strange stability issues. Spotted this in out test labs and at two of out test sites.

Initial symptoms are poor performance.

I have noticed that the 2830 seems to suffer from some kind of memory leak and/or crash that affects performance. The symptoms after the router has been running for a couple of weeks, the managment interface gives a 404 error. The router is still pingable and internet is still accessible, but DNS queries are slow.

A restart (via power switch as mgmt interface is not accessible) will cure. I guess these devices are still very new, but I would expect a more stable device for the price.

More
03 Aug 2011 07:06 #68853 by leepa
Replied by leepa on topic Re: Dissapointed with 2830Vn

craigski wrote:

D0bb1n wrote: More strange stability issues. Spotted this in out test labs and at two of out test sites.

Initial symptoms are poor performance.

I have noticed that the 2830 seems to suffer from some kind of memory leak and/or crash that affects performance. The symptoms after the router has been running for a couple of weeks, the managment interface gives a 404 error. The router is still pingable and internet is still accessible, but DNS queries are slow.

A restart (via power switch as mgmt interface is not accessible) will cure. I guess these devices are still very new, but I would expect a more stable device for the price.

There is definitely a memory leak problem going on here. Every 2-3 days my 2830n will suddenly start losing packets. I'm with an ISP (A&A) that allow me to fully check what's causing it... low and behold its the router. Rebooting fixes it.

I'm surprised there's been no firmware updates for the device yet. I bought it when coming back to ADSL as I have previously had a great experience of Draytek equipment.

No more. Reputation tarnished.

More
03 Aug 2011 07:51 #68854 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Dissapointed with 2830Vn

leepa wrote:

I'm surprised there's been no firmware updates for the device yet.

Er, there have! Have you reported this alleged problem to support?

leepa wrote: Reputation tarnished.

Oh for God's sake.... What are you, Judge Dredd ? :-)

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami