DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 different ISP's outgoing smtp servers

• egatewayz
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2011 11:26 #68196 by egatewayz
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a clients 2820. They are running 2 isp's WAN1: adsl via Zen and WAN2: cable via Virgin.

My problem is I want users on the network to have outgoing smtp (port 25) sent to the correct smtp server.

Say a user has their smtp server in outlook set to mailhost.zen.co.uk. When they send the mail if WAN1 is used the mail should be sent via server mailhost.zen.co.uk, but if WAN2 is used the mail should be sent via smtp.virginmedia.com.

I have set a rule in WAN > load-balance policy that has all destination port 25 traffic to use WAN 1. This, I hope, will route all smtp traffic to the Zen adsl line. If the Zen line goes down then there will be no way for users to send mail without them having to change the smtp server in their client software. Is there any way to get all port 25 traffic on WAN2 to be redirected to a specific IP (smtp.virginmedia.com)?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2011 17:00 #68206 by rpg
No I dont think so. All Load Balancing does is to to say stuff from this internal IP or stuff on this port or stuff for this destination goes out on that WAN port. It cant say if mailhost.zen.co.uk is not available then use smtp.virginmedia.com.

Two alternatives:

1) host your own Outgoing mail server on your network - make all clients send outgoing mail to that - the server can then send by DNS over either WAN connection
2) use ISP independant outgoing mail server (they are usually subscription services) and then all clients to use that. Again the router can then pass the SMTP traffic across either WAN.

Hope that helps...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami