DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Time to move on... / Fritz!Box 7390

• gcp
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jun 2011 10:36 #68292 by gcp
Hi all, well I've been a long time [mostly] happy user of Draytek products, happily upgrading every couple of years just for the sake of it :) Most of the features on my 2820Vn I don't even use but I liked the flexibility of it.

I've just upgraded to BT Infinity (being installed next Thursday) and I want a one box solution. The current Draytek VDSL offering doesn't fit my VPN requirements so I've decided to take the plunge and try out a Fritz!Box 7390 ADSL2/VDSL2 unit. It seems to do everything I need, although the VPN is the only questionable part atm.

It has IPv6 out of the box, DECT integration, FAX, answering machine and eco-power usage, along with most of the other Draytek features. All these new features I will use and I am not so bothered about the less configuration options it appears to have compared to the Draytek (as I don't use them anyway).

So if it all checks out next week I'll be putting my trusty 2820Vn (and 19" rack shelf) up for sale. If anyone on here might be interested in buying it let me know and if I decide to stick with the Fritz I'll be in touch. Otherwise I'll see you all back on here very soon :)

Cheers,
Gareth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2011 10:32 #68330 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Re: Time to move on...
Will be interesting to see how you get on with this.

I need something that will handle public IPs and although I sent several emails to AVM I got no reply, whereas emails to Draytek have always been answered even over the weekend :D

• gcp
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2011 10:38 #68331 by gcp
Replied by gcp on topic Re: Time to move on...
Well the Fritz!box is arriving today so I'll be configuring it tonight to work with my existing BE there ADSL connection before BT VDSL arrives on Thursday. I'll post some updates, although I do have 1 static IP with BE there I won't have any with BT. Not sure if I'll be able to give you much more insight.

Gareth.

• gcp
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2011 10:33 #68360 by gcp
Replied by gcp on topic Re: Time to move on...
Hi all, well I installed the Fritz!Box 7390 on Wednesday using my existing ADSL connection with BE there and all went fine, was getting a D/L rate of about 6.8 Mbps and U/L 0.8 Mbps. BT Infinity was installed yesterday and after a bit of fiddling with the Fritz config file I got it working without the BT supplied router and separate modem. D/L is 36.5 Mbps and U/L is 1.8 Mbps. I'm only on BT Infinity option 1 atm but even from the Fritz!Box statistics I can see I'm going to go over my 40Gb limit before the month is out! So I'll probably be upgrading to option 2.

The box itself is perfect for my needs, surpassing the functionality of the Draytek that I was using. However it definitely won't be for the hardcore Draytek users on here. Configuration options are much reduced and I doubt a lot of things you can do on the Draytek are available on the Fritz!box, at least through the user interface anyway. I had to modify the configuration file directly to get VDSL2 working to connect to Infinity and that contained a ridiculous amount of options, way more than the interface shows. So it might be as configurable but hard for me to say as I didn't understand most of it.

Anyway from my point of view the interface is a joy to use after using Draytek for many years. The array of line and usage statistics is comprehensive. I'm pretty much using all the features of the box. Wireless LAN 5 Ghz is great too, giving my Macbook Pro a solid 300 Mbps connection. Even IPv6 works.

I purchased a bundle package with 2 Fritz! MT-F DECT handsets. I must say that this is excellent and that I'd been looking around for something like this for a long time. It's all ECO friendly too.

So overall I am very impressed with my new Fritz!Box. My trusty Draytek 2820Vn will be going up on eBay this weekend. However it won't be for a lot of people as the configuration options via the user interface are limited compared to Draytek. That said if you are happy modifying a configuration file you may be able to do a lot more.

If anyone would like more information or some screen shots give me a shout.

Cheers,
Gareth.

• gcp
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2011 21:10 #68405 by gcp
Replied by gcp on topic Re: Time to move on... / Fritz!Box 7390
If anyone is interested in my old 2820Vn, it's on eBay along with a Draytek Router Rack shelf.

Item id # 110708566000 (router)

Item Id # 110708572684 (rack shelf)

Cheers,
Gareth.

More
09 Jul 2011 15:50 #68539 by marksp99
Replied by marksp99 on topic Re: Time to move on... / Fritz!Box 7390
I just got a 2830n but i am thinking about sending it back and trying the fritzbox
I am on Be too and it is significantly slower than my netgears but better built. Build quality
and options are great but, why go slower? I must admit that the wireless is more stable than with either of my netgears.

I had assumed - my fault - that the Draytek would provide basic traffic stats but it seems not which is pretty
disappointing for £220. Thousands of options you won't likely use but missing something like GBs sent/received

Moderators: Sami