Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

"Guest" WLAN setup

• ismoore999
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2011 19:57 #68322 by ismoore999
"Guest" WLAN setup was created by ismoore999
Hi

I just purchased a 2820 and wanted to know if the following is possible.
I would like to be able to add a "Guest" Wifi connection for people visiting the office if they want to pick up mail etc.
What I would like to do is restrict this connection so it can access the internet but cannot access any of the internal network or other WAN connection.
I guessed if I could set up separate subnets and assign them differently this may solve my problem providing they are not bridged in any way but I may be wrong on this
Is this possible?

Many thanks
ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2011 21:28 #68324 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: "Guest" WLAN setup
Did you get a 2820 or an 2820n ?
With the 2820, you can separate the Ethernet ports using the VLAN feature. You cannot have more then 1 Subnet, but this is not needed to make it work like you need, just connect a Wifi Accesspoint to the isolated port.
Problems arise only if you want to use another box then the Vigor in the wired lan as the DHCP server (maybe a Windows SBS box) and, as the consequence you have to deactivate the Vigors DHCP server (in this case, you can make the Vigor a DHCP relay server, but I found that this does not work reliable all the time).
If you have an Acesspoint, which can be setup as an DHCP server, then everything should work fine.

With the 2820n you can separate the wired lan from the wireless lan. The eventual problem withthe DHCP setup remains the same, but here you cant have a second DHCP Server.

• ismoore999
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2011 07:30 #68326 by ismoore999
Replied by ismoore999 on topic Re: "Guest" WLAN setup
Thanks for that.
I have the 2820n router.
The main issue was that some people internally connect via the WLAN. I was hoping that I could set up two separate wireless stations on the router and route these differently but it sounds like from what you are saying that is not possible:
eg.
Sequence Office + Wired Lan -> one subnet
Sequence Guest -> different subnet for internet only

Ian

More
21 Jun 2011 07:40 #68327 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: "Guest" WLAN setup
According to the Demo at:
http://www.draytek.com/.upload/Demo/Vigor2820/v3.3.5.2/
this should be possible.
You can have up to 4 different SSIDs and are able to select which of these are blocked from the wired lan.

• ismoore999
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2011 07:43 #68345 by ismoore999
Replied by ismoore999 on topic Re: "Guest" WLAN setup
aha... not quite!
I can see what you mean from the demo that by clicking Isolate LAN that would achieve the results but that option is not available.
I have the latest firmware. What I see for the options is two checkboxes with their descriptions below:

Isolate Member:Wireless clients (stations) with the same SSID cannot access for each other.
Isolate VPN:isolate wireless with remote dial-in and LAN to LAN VPN.

What is very strange is that if I copy and paste that from the browser a hidden option is there that I cannot see (but is in the html)

Isolate LAN:Wireless clients (stations) with the same SSID cannot access wired PCs on LAN.

and if I look at the HTML source of the page, there are checkboxes for isolate LAN, but hidden, as is the comment above.

Any idea how this gets enabled?

More
23 Jun 2011 09:10 #68346 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: "Guest" WLAN setup
You use the LAN - VLAN page to select which SSIDs can access which LAN ports.

Moderators: Sami